How to secure firearms for month absence ?

Mr H

Morning :)

Was wanting some advice on the best way to ensure my rifles are safe if I'm away working for a month.I thought about putting them to a smith to look after but that'll cost me.
How would it be if I were to just take the bolts with me? What about the ammunition.
All normal security precautions aside.
Thanks
Mr H

Last edited:
If I am going on holiday, I lodge mine with the FEO in the local police station. The have a climate controlled secure storage unit. Gratis. They even delivered them back to me the last time.

Might be best to lodge them with a local friendly FAD, at least you have peace of mind.

If not might be prudent to give the bolts to a fellow shooter for safe keeping.

Is your house alarmed and if so what type, if direct to call centre I would have thought ok (assuming you have an alarm)

Finally have you thought of a house sitter?

D

If not might be prudent to give the bolts to a fellow shooter for safe keeping.

Very dumb idea :rolleyes: bolts are pressure bearing parts so require a licence....... Plod would love this and have a field day.

Hey chaps,

Is this a wind-up?

Has there been a change in the Firearms Acts? If so I've missed it.

The only legal obligation is to notify the CC if you change your permanent/home address. If you're away for a month your current security is adequate.

I don't see Perthshire in the same risk category as London for instance, but it could have become a centre of terrorism while my back was turned.

Got the wife :D
Since she has no access to locker I reckon your ideas of local FAD would be best

If your security has been approved by your FLO why won't it be good enough when you're absent?

Especially if your wife is in residence during your absence... ???

Just curious.

If your security has been approved by your FLO why won't it be good enough when you're absent?

Especially if your wife is in residence during your absence... ???

Just curious.
I'm sure your right. I guess I'm being overly cautious since I'm new to this.

I'm sure your right. I guess I'm being overly cautious since I'm new to this.

Be careful, I am in the same area as you know some guys who have a holiday cottage, they have stalking in the area
the cottage has been checked for security, they left rifles at cottage as they would be returning in a few days some how this came to the attention of the police, they were hauled up got a dressing down told if it happened again their certificates would be revoked, this is a slightly different situation to you but not that much, the point the police made was that this was a cottage unattended when they were not in residence and if anyone was aware of their movements and when they were likely to return, they would have time to gain access and remove rifles at their leisure.

That's a good point, but the circumstances are wholly different.

This cottage is a temporary let used by stalkers. That will be known in the neighbourhood. It's risky to leave entire rifles in such a location for days on end, so they deserve a bollicking.

Your home address cleared by an FEO is in an entirely different category.

I am regularly out of the country for a month at a time due to work.
The local FLO only requires that i take the keys to the safes with me when i go abroad & that no one has access to my guns.
Been doing this for many years never had any problems.

John

Very dumb idea :rolleyes: bolts are pressure bearing parts so require a licence....... Plod would love this and have a field day.

How would the Police know :confused: as for being away for a month, how would they know that as well :confused:
As your wife is in residence why should you house suddenly become more likely to be turned over than it is when you are there :confused:
I reckon as long as you are keeping them in the usual place, the one that has already been passed as secure by your FEO, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I am regularly out of the country for a month at a time due to work.
The local FLO only requires that i take the keys to the safes with me when i go abroad & that no one has access to my guns.
Been doing this for many years never had any problems.

John

+1

Another ******** posting .lock your weapons up and go, you say you wife is at home so theres someone in the residence .

There are quite a few guys on this site that work on the rigs, and out of the country , I use to be away for anything up to a year at a time my wife was at home, the house was lock fast, alarmed the weapons were in the cabinets no problem .

Had my wife been with me I would have put the weapons in storage due to a empty residence.

you presumably have a 5 lever or stronger cabinet for the guns? in which case you have complied with the legal requirement.
it doesnt matter if you go away for 5 hours or 5 weeks.
if you are going to be robbed you are going to be robbed.
If they turn up with the equipment to remove a cabinet from the wall they wont need a week, they will need half an hour.

for gods sake dont start giving the police more bright ideas of how to restrict ownership and increase security at our expense

Back