HOWA Rifle ant thoughts ?

the shadow

Thinking of new rifle any thoughts on the Howa range in .270win,have heard good value for money,any one had experiance of them.

Thanks all.

I'm very happy with mine, stainless and synthetic 1500 in .308, comfortable to shoot and pretty light weight, I haven't been able to find any bad reviews online either. :)

I got the thumbhole stocked heavy barrel in .223 and as everyone else has said they're a good peice of kit.

The Hogue Overmolded rubber stock will compensate for the action stretching.:D

(It's an old joke here. Someone suggested that Howa's "stretch" with use. Nonsense of course! I have a couple of them!) ~Muir

The Hogue Overmolded rubber stock will compensate for the action stretching.:D

(It's an old joke here. Someone suggested that Howa's "stretch" with use. Nonsense of course! I have a couple of them!) ~Muir

:rofl::lol::rofl: Muir, I was waiting to see who cracked first ;)

Seriously though, they are really solid actions and are the basis for many custom and semi-custom rifles. Good kit that is well priced.

Simon

Howa actions are great, and it's a really solid rifle action to customize with a good barrel and stock later on.

Shadow

Do a search, there are plenty of threads on the site about how good Howa rifles are, as already been said they are solidly engineered rifles, forged receivers and bolts, they are a Hybrid design, the receivers are almost a copy of the Sako Finbear, the bolt in design, but not construction draws heavily on a Remington 700 .

ATB

Tahr

Howa rifles are excellent, although can be let down by rough / heavy triggers - mine was transformed by having the sears polished by Mike Norris of Brock & Norris Riflesmiths. The trigger now breaks crisply at at my preferred weight of 2lbs without any trace of creep. Every bit as good as the Timney triger on my .270 or the very, very good factory trigger on my Sako .300. Total cost was £40, which is better than £70-100 for an aftermarket replacement trigger.

The basic Hogue 'plastic chassis' stock is rubbish - go for the laminate stock or fit a Bell & Carlson Carbelite. There are several others available as part of the new 'mix and match' approach offered by Highland Outdoorsd but some of them look decidedly odd.

Adam.

Adam.

Howa rifles are excellent, although can be let down by rough / heavy triggers -
Triggers can be a bit hit or miss, I have played with a few, most of them can be adjusted down to 1.5lbs no trouble, but with the odd one the release is not crisp, while the next one is fine.

PIC00113.jpg

A few different Howa’s

ATB

Tahr

I think the Howa is a bit like a horse drawn plough a bit agricultural but does the job in a fashion .

Then you have the air conditioned all singing all dancing tractor with the big reversible , a pleasure to use .

Just like the Blaser ...... :stir: :stir:

I think the Howa is a bit like a horse drawn plough a bit agricultural but does the job in a fashion .

Then you have the air conditioned all singing all dancing tractor with the big reversible , a pleasure to use .

Just like the Blaser ...... :stir: :stir:

Sure buy a Blazer if you want your pants pulling down and well and Shafting.:D You can buy a Howa for the price of a Blazer scope mount.:rofl: Photos posted to remind Blazer owners the price you might have to pay for having the ability to “spray and pray” with your fast action straight pull. Half your face goes missing. :stir::evil:

BLASER1.jpg

blaser_09_web_01.jpg

blaser_08_web1.jpg

A Howa cost ¼ to 1/5 the price of a Blazer and do you think that carrying a Blazer will allow you to shoot any more deer than a normal bolt action rifle.:rolleyes:

ATB

Tahr

Knew it wouldn't be long fella
Just having a bit of a leg pull boys

Attachments

• reeling them in.bmp
    18 KB · Views: 9
Reading the threads from Howa owners even they admit the stock isn't the best , then the trigger needs either working on or changing.
Just goes to show you can't polish a turd .

Reading the threads from Howa owners even they admit the stock isn't the best , then the trigger needs either working on or changing.
Just goes to show you can't polish a turd .

I only have one Howa now, it is 10 years old and has a standard stock and trigger, the only work done was to free float the barrel and adjust the trigger myself, total cost zero. I think new I paid £325 for it, it is a 233 heavy barrel and it shoots ¼ inch groups with factory ammo. If that is a turd I think I will keep rolling in sh1t. :D

The Howa’s are built on machinery brought from Sako, in fact the first one were a direct copy of the Sako Finbears (typical Japanese) Sako threatened to sue, so Howa changed the bolt design to get round this.

Now as Sakos are miles better than Blazers that means so are Howas, and they cost a quarter the price. :stir:

Oh never ever had a misfire with a Howa, no matter how gently I close the bolt.:D

Howas are the Toyota Hi-Lux of the rifle would, total reliable, while the Blazer is a Range-Rover, massively over priced item for posing with only.:p

I love winding Blazer owners too.

ATB

Tahr

Only thing that is good about Blaser is that the company is reachable and
service is good.
The blaser stock is a tiny bit better than a howa plastic...(if the rubber pads don't fall off) but
stil a low quality stock and bad egonomics.
I hunted with a R93 in Germany this year, no thanks, aluminium clatterbox.
Alone loading and unloading will drive you around the bend.
edi

Back