Car insurance for your children?

flytie

Dear all, I want to try and tap the knowledge of those who have insured cars for their newly qualified (adult/ish) children.

Where did you get the best deal?

At the moment we are looking at insuring a 1litre very old car for my 18 year old daughter, the car in question will cost us £600, the best insurance quote we have found is £1600.

I feel that some lubrication might help while they are trying to shaft me :-|

If I insured a landrover defender worth £2000 for both my daughter and I to drive it would still cost £1700, but at least it's much closer to the value of the vehicle.

Any answers to this imponderable question will be greatly recieved.

Quinns should be competitive.

The cost of the car is irrelevant. The big cost is for third party liability.

The lovely accident management companies, plus solicitors who advertise on TV have shafted the whole insurance market.

I've just been quoted £3000 for my lad fully comp:eek:

shall keep searching a little longer , so he's on shanks pony for a little longer too:D

I'm afraid it's a shop around deal - but I would press hard. When I was looking a couple of years ago for my son in a similar situation, I had quotes between £2400 and £1500 TPFT for a little Fiesta. I think it was Norwich Union who I said in the end, I want to buy today to, and they came back at £800 - unbelievable.
The other things to look at to reduce cost are Pass Plus and limited hours driving. I can't remember who it is, but someone offers a good discount for limited miles and a curfew - I think 11pm? - Anything's got to be worth a go to get a couple of years NCD on the cards. Some company's also offer a starter accelerator - 1yrs NCD every 10 months. Also make sure you tell them of any other driving experience - scooters etc. It all helps to reduce the risk profile.

I have gone through the same in the past 2 weeks.

Bought her an old mini for £3.5k. NFU quoted £6.5k for insurance! So I went hunting.....

Cheapest out there was Admiral. But there are some quirks.

She has a provisional licence. I origonaly had the car in my name and her as the only driver and the quote was £1600. I then put myself and my wife on as named drivers, clean licences for a long time, it came down to £1000. Don't ask me why, it just did.

Then changed the car to be in her name rather than mine and it came down another £80. So we now have a £3.5k Mini Cooper, 2003 reg, insured for £920.

When she passes her test it goes up by £500. But I thought that was pretty good. No curfew, milage limit 10k a year. Car is group 8.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

..... But there are some quirks.

She has a provisional licence. I originally had the car in my name and her as the only driver and the quote was £1600. I then put myself and my wife on as named drivers, clean licences for a long time, it came down to £1000. Don't ask me why, it just did....

This is actually the key way to reduce the cost of a young ones cover. If you put extra drivers on cover, mother and father who are older and should be safer, you are reducing the risk profile of the policy as the 17 year old is not the only driver, and the cost of cover comes down as you can see.

Good legitmate dodge for you all to know about.

I've just been quoted £3000 for my lad fully comp:eek:

shall keep searching a little longer , so he's on shanks pony for a little longer too:D
Stone, I am afraid it's Dad's taxis for my daughter! I have to get her to and from her weekend job :doh:
Some friends just had a quote for their 18 year old daughters £350 car................£1570. :eek:
basil.
Basil, that seems to be about the best i can find, it's not good. Proportionally it would be cheaper with a Defender, still £1600 but for a vehicle that costs £2000.
This is actually the key way to reduce the cost of a young ones cover. If you put extra drivers on cover, mother and father who are older and should be safer, you are reducing the risk profile of the policy as the 17 year old is not the only driver, and the cost of cover comes down as you can see.

Good legitmate dodge for you all to know about.

Brian, I shall have to have a ring round and try this dodge, see if i can flush out a bargain :-|

Simon

Last edited:
We went through this last year, as daughter was away at uni initially we used Collingwood wher you can insure learner on a week by week basis.

NFU are initially expensive but they soon get no claims disc (after 6 months I think) we ended up with Diva part of Swinton, £1600 third party on a W plate 106. That was the best we could find without time/mileage restrictions.

It's a minefield, good luck!

21 year old fully comp with 3 years no claims on a corsa 1.2 T reg (about 4 bhp!), premium.......1200
same lad for a peugeot 1.6hdi 206 110bhp 55 plate.....900

apparently the older car car a higher insurance group than the newer car. This is often the case, especially for the likes of corsa's and fiesta's.

The deals above were with Churchill

not quite the same, but a few years ago we bought a brand new small diesel van for one of our apprentices, the Van cost us less per month to by than the insurance for a 21 year old with 3 years no claims! :eek:
looked into getting my lad insured while he was learning so that we could take him out for experience.... £2K quote! to add him as a learner driver :scared:

Back