Stutzen

Stutzen - yes.

.243 - not sure if I'd go for that calibre in one.

Last edited:
Steve,

Wear ear protection. They tend to be short carbine's so the bang is closer to your ears. Muzzle velocity reduction may make your perceived bullet of choice not deer legal.

Stan

Saw a nice Mannlicher 6.5x55 with a Pecar Scope (and apel mounts, I think) in Country Pursuits, Criicklade this week. Asking £750, which seemed good value. Might be worth a look if you'd consider another calibre.

Some food for thought!

+ nice and light, great for walking in thick cover, ideal in close woodland stalking.
- can not be moderated, quite loud, factory loads may not be deer legal, bullet drop over 100m can be excessive!

I love mine, but agree it is not the perfect all rounder for deer. Mine is in 7x64 for boar, none of whom have complained.
Mark.

Shot quite a bit with a Remington Mohawk .243 stutzen nice woodland rifle, but bad loading port no mag no floor plate
had to cycle the bolt to empty the rifle blxxxy pest.

I have a Ruger No.1 International Stutzen in 7x57..19" barrel , you could almost holster it on your belt,it is accurate and has lovely American Walnut..a real classic gem! :D Anton

I don't like them at all. However they do have a following. My post is really to assure you that even if the barrels are only 18" long they will still be deer legal with ANY factory loaded 243 cartridge in 100 grain or (where legal) sensible lighter weights.

This barrel length vs velocity vs legal velocity requirement I asked about some years ago when moderators were coming in. Apparent even before that tests were done on 308 and etcetara down to 16" and still legal.

Now in original 6.5mm x 54MS they won't be velocity legal with factory 160 grain bullets which struggled even to be velocity legal in standard barrel length Mannlicher rifles. I am told that there can be "issues" with maintaining zero over a fast fired string of shots.

I don't like them at all. However they do have a following. My post is really to assure you that even if the barrels are only 18" long they will still be deer legal with ANY factory loaded 243 cartridge in 100 grain or (where legal) sensible lighter weights.

This barrel length vs velocity vs legal velocity requirement I asked about some years ago when moderators were coming in. Apparent even before that tests were done on 308 and etcetara down to 16" and still legal.

Now in original 6.5mm x 54MS they won't be velocity legal with factory 160 grain bullets which struggled even to be velocity legal in standard barrel length Mannlicher rifles. I am told that there can be "issues" with maintaining zero over a fast fired string of shots.

6.5X54 160gr does not meet legal requirements[Scotland] both MV and ME below legal requirements.

Legal requirements Scotland
All species deer bullet 100gr min. MV 2450 fps ME1750 fp.
Roe deer 50 gr MV 2450 fps ME1000 fp

6.5X54 160gr does not meet legal requirements[Scotland] both MV and ME below legal requirements.

Legal requirements Scotland
All species deer bullet 100gr min. MV 2450 fps ME1750 fp.
Roe deer 50 gr MV 2450 fps ME1000 fp

Yes we know about that bit of stupidity. It was quite enough to African Elephant but no capable of killing deer :rolleyes:

Just use a 140 or 120 grain bullet. Norma, RWS and Kynoch used to load such weights.

I believe the velocity was also carefully chosen to penalise the 303 British as well.

How about one like this? Dorleac & Dorleac 6.5x57, 1927 Mauser action, 22in barrel.
DD4.jpg

DD3.jpg

Yes we know about that bit of stupidity. It was quite enough to African Elephant but no capable of killing deer :rolleyes:

Just use a 140 or 120 grain bullet. Norma, RWS and Kynoch used to load such weights.

I believe the velocity was also carefully chosen to penalise the 303 British as well.

Stupid it may be, and I tend to agree but better than it was prior to 1986 when we had no restriction on what they were shot with, I remember in my youth when it was common practise for deer to be shot with shotguns and .22lr
both of which can do the job but I certainly would not recommend them.
The 215 gr 303 does not make the required MV, in fact not many bullet weights over 200gr will, apart from the magnum calibres.

Ahhh your lack of knowledge of what was our service cartridge is showing. In 1910 the 215 grain MkV1 was replaced by the 174 grain MkV11 which has a nominal velocity of 2450 fps.

Winchester load it with a 180 grain bullet as does Remington I believe the Winchester velocity claim i just over but we all know how that goes with manufactures claims. it's unlikely to meet their claims although is some cases they are exceeded.

Stupid it may be, and I tend to agree but better than it was prior to 1986 when we had no restriction on what they were shot with, I remember in my youth when it was common practise for deer to be shot with shotguns and .22lr
both of which can do the job but I certainly would not recommend them.
The 215 gr 303 does not make the required MV, in fact not many bullet weights over 200gr will, apart from the magnum calibres.
30-06 200gr and 220gr factoy loadings will - 30-06 Springfield Ammunition let alone hand loads at 270 pressure

I have had a couple of "mannlicher stocked rifles", as we call them in America. A Steyr-Mannlicher 270, a Anschutz 22, and a custom Ruger #3. I recommend the concept, and they are wonderful to carry. Sometimes they get kind of bitchy about bedding. As they are hard to bed correctly.

Back