Thread: Rangefinder Choice.

Rangefinder Choice.

Going to purchase my first set of leica rangefinding binos.
    Was just wondering on what seems to be the most popular choice with yard or meter version.
    Also any pros and cons with different models.
    Any advice most gratefully appreciated.

This is one for personal preference. I use a Mildot reticule where everything is in mils, so a metric rangefinder is the obvious choice as there is a direct read across to mils. If you prefer MOA, then opt for an yard model.

As has already been said this just depends on how your head works. For some reason when shooting I work in inches and yards. So, I know one inch at 100 yards is the wind drift for a 10mph wiind and can work it out to other distances and wind speeds to a reasonable degree. I also know that if I'm 2 inches high at 100 then I will be almost spot on at 200 and about 8 inches low at 300 and I can see in my head what 8 inches looks like on a deer at 300 yards.

If your brain works in meters and cm then yards will be less useful to you.

unfortunately (depends how you look at it) my brain works in old money so i'll opt for yards, my new IOR scope is MOA, which should work out fine.

Which IOR scope? If your recticle is in the 2nd focal plane and your are using it for range estimation, this will only work at a set magnification. I have an IOR 6-24x50: to use the scope for mil estimation it must be at 12x mag, for MOA it needs to be at 18x mag. (this might vary with individual scopes and would need to be checked at 100m or yards as appropriate - but it is spot on for mine). However, the turret clicks will always be a 1/4 MOA regardless of mag setting or range! Basically, 1 click = 1/4" or 6mm at 100yds/100m. For a scope where the recticle is in the first focal plane, it will always give the true value.

To use mils: I mil is exactly 10cm at 100m, 20cm at 200m , 30cm at 300m, etc. Therefore, to estimate range on a Roe using mils: average Roe adult is 60cm from chest to rear, so at 100m the Roe will subtend 6 mils, 3 mils at 200m, 2 mil at 300m, etc (with the IOR, the mag must be at 12x). For bullet drop compensation, 10cm is just about 4" - so, for 4" drop at 200m this will be 1/2 mil, and 8" drop at 300m will be 2/3 mil (again for the IOR at 12x mag).

In the end, it is what you are used to, you don't have time to start mental maths when your finger is on the trigger and the deer is about to run!

4-14x50 is the scope that i've purchased, many thanks for the info.

Mauser, checking on your scope, your recticle is in the 2nd focal plane so you need to know which magnification to use for range estimation etc. Are you happy how to do this of do you want more info? You can PM if you prefer.