Thread: First Year Stalking

First Year Stalking

My first year of stalking is just ending and has been a bit of a rollercoaster, I think I chose the right rifle in a mannlicher, a good calibre in 25-06 and eventually a good scope S&B 8x56 Ill. (after 3 tries - any one want to buy a scope?).

In October I decided to take my DSC1 which I duly passed and would recommend this to any novice stalker.

I have been out with professional stalkers during the year and shot roe, missed sika and munties but really wanted a ground where I could learn and make my mistakes in private.

In April I managed to get into a small two man syndicate in Dumfries & Galloway which seemed to be full of does on previous visits but on Monday afternoon it all came to fruition when I shot my first six point roe.

I was on the land alone and generally wandering from clearing to clearing when I saw a roe, I could not make out the sex as it was browsing in the larches and partially obscured about 100 yards away.

So began my first lone stalk - generally I am like a bull in a china shop and I cannot believe that the roe could not hear my heart thumping or heavy breathing. I slowly stalked down the edge of the plantation until about 70 yards the head came up - a buck - but no clear shot through the trees. More slow advancing with him walking slowly away from me, the urge to run was immense.

I saw that he was starting to browse again and I brought my rifle up onto my sticks and waited, he raised his head and I could clearly see his head and kneck down to the top of his chest, an 'engine room' shot was out so I moved to the top of the kneck and pulled the trigger. A clean kill, straight down and he didn't move.

Reloaded and walked over to the spot where he fell and sure enough stone dead - my first six point roe, my first lone stalk and my first deer on the new ground - all in the first year.

Good write up - I bet your heart was in your mouth when you took the shot.

How did you feel doing the gralloch, carcass prep etc yourself? Was it a struggle?

Dealing with the carcase wasn't bad (I used to be a meat inspector) but the gralloch could have been better - for example I left the bladder in but quickly realised what I had done and took it out without any spillage. I now have to start sausage making and boil the head etc etc.

Well done mate, a good read.

Well done, you can add first write up of solo stalk to your list.

I look forward to reading many more

Well done Tony. What a year for you, I hope it continues to produce more memories in the future, and by the way............ congratulations on taking the Buck, well done.

Happy Days

Nice one Tony, it's a buzz shooting your first deer on your own, well done. I hope next season is as good if not beeter than this one for you.
    Nice read, you will never forget that buck.

Well done Tony really pleased for you, cracking looking buck many congradulations.

Look forward to seeing you soon & hearing first hand about the stalk over a pint in the Swan.

well done .Good write up, good to see you have had some good fortune in your first year. All the best