Just about to buy a .17 Anschutz

Hi

Just about to buy a .17 Anschutz thumbhole next week...lots of good press and feels great

Any opinions, apart from cost, as to go for another make.

Also would be great to get your views on suitable mod and scopes...

All info gratefully received.

I bought a new CZ 455 laminated thumbhole last week. Bloody thing is spraying bullets all over the target. Averaging 1.5 - 2" groups at 100 yards. Guy in the shop thinks that is OK. I think it needs recrowned.

Get the Annie....

I have the Anschutz .17 and whilst it is a nice rifle, the annoying thing about it is that the bolt does not lock down and it is easy to get sufficient bolt lift from contact with your clothing that the rifle de-cocks and at that crucial moment when you squeeze the trigger...nothing happens.

If I was choosing again would probably go for a Sako quad.

Phil

had a 17 hmr annie and it was very accurate. lovely trigger and smooth bolt. the bolt will lift if you catch it with your arm. some make sure you carry it on your shoulder with bolt facing out. less likely knock it up then with movement,.

bloody good rifles. and very nice in the thumbhole stock

Claret, have you changed the trigger, if not it will make all the difference.I have CZ thumbhole in 22 and the trigger is the making of it.
Tusker

I bought a new CZ 455 laminated thumbhole last week. Bloody thing is spraying bullets all over the target. Averaging 1.5 - 2" groups at 100 yards. Guy in the shop thinks that is OK. I think it needs recrowned.

Get the Annie....
I did read somewhere that HMR can take up to 500 rounds to settle in? don,t know how true this is as i don't have HMR. Try these guys on this website, http://czowners.com/ They are a top bunch, i bought my lefty .22 rimmy off one of the moderators on this site, very nice chap.

had my annie thumbhole from new since december, put just over 800 rounds through it can't fault it,some people reckon they need 1000 rounds to settle down, mines been superb from round one.Did clean it often to start with, but now its about 60-70 shots before it gets a rod.As for scpoe it has a zeiss 2.5-10x50 but it's never used above 7 mag.Best shot to date is two rabbits side by side 154 rather large paces

Get the Annie....

I have owned two, and used six CZ HMRs, and only a couple would genuinely group at MOA in ideal conditions. One of those two could hold well under that with the 20gn HP ammo, but only 2MOA with the 17gn BT stuff.
A shooting buddy reports his Sako Quad is how you describe, as have a couple more with the Anschutz 1517 and 1717. Finding a consistently accurate HMR of any brand is a lottery, and I have decided that if I went back, I'd only buy one I could thoroughly test first.

the thing with hmr's is as you only shoot factory ammo. no matter what make hmr you have it can only be as consistent as the ammo. and from time to time i have notice hmr ammo batches to be crap. so it isn't always the rifle

Jay 22 I hope you are right, I have just paid for a CZ 455 Lam (TH) after a lot of thought as it got a good all round thumbs up. I hope to collect it soon as I am getting the trigger done on it. I will let you know how I get on, as I have a lot of Bunnies to sort out.

Slangevar,

Jimmy

I have an anshutz 1517 and it is and has been from the word go extremely accurate my only dislike as others have said is the bolt doesn't lock down but it does become habit to check it eventually.

I have owned a .22lr version for the best part of a decade. it is excellent, very accurate, and would agree the inability to lock the bolt down is a real pain. Also in .22 the mag is too short for eley subs and can cut the tips off.

Excellent trigger.

D

I have an anshutz 1517 and it is and has been from the word go extremely accurate my only dislike as others have said is the bolt doesn't lock down but it does become habit to check it eventually.

Same here, love mine and it has been very accurate from new, now has nearly 10K rounds down the tube.

Neil. :)

I've had a 17/17 for several years now, I don't think you can get them over here any more.
I've stuck with Anschutz for donkeys years now they are top rifles, well built and highly accurate, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Back