roe calf

dazbeaver

hi everyone, just thought i share this, this afternoon i was lucky enough to see a roe doe with her fawn she only had 1 though, i would have guessed it to only be about 48 hours old as it was still a bit wobboly on its feet, there was a nice roe buck in hard horn with them. I managed to get within less 80 metres of them be for they winded me what a memerable experiance. Has anyone else seen any fawns yet this year.

Regards
Darren

Last edited:
Daz , without being rude i think you need to do somemore homework sir , there are some very good books out there and i might suggest you read one or two before your next outing . All the best mate

We shot what I thought was a barren doe mid last month to find she had a single inside which had its spots, I would have said it would have been born mid april. No mistake and i'm with roe every day.

homework????

Daz , without being rude i think you need to do somemore homework sir , there are some very good books out there and i might suggest you read one or two before your next outing . All the best mate

My i ask why i need 2 do more home work??

homework????

May i ask why iv to do some homewrk??

Daz that is very interesting and certainly early and as early as i have heard i did take some pictures of twins a few years back now and they were born at the middle of april .

bamabisorted.jpg

Well that's not patronising in the slightest :lol:

Daz if you do take up this advice then please don't believe everything you read. There are many books and magazine articles out there but only some of it will help you. Even this site, I've read some great advice but I've also read some garbage :doh:

Last edited:
early roe birth

Daz that is very interesting and certainly early and as early as i have heard i did take some pictures of twins a few years back now and they were born at the middle of april .

bamabisorted.jpg
Hi, its the earlyest iv ever come across as well i took some pics on my blackberry but as the zoom is pretty crap you stuggle to see it clearly. I wqs watching 6 roe last week at the same place three bucks 2 adult does and one of last years young 'a doe'. only one of the does looked bellyed up so it could have been the one i saw today with her only having one fawn.

Cheers.

if were getting technical then, a roe fawn!!.

Darren it makes no difference to me, as has already been said deer don’t read books and we all knew what you meant. But the correct terminology for a roe offspring is a “kid”, I don’t mention this to ridicule or take the p1ss, just to politely inform.

Hope this does not take away from a good thread, nice photo.

ATB

Tahr

hi, thats what i thought abit bitchy really. i wony be taking any advise from him as im up lockerbie nearly every weekend carring out deer control on a 56,000 acre estateas well as a small shoot in the lakes and around my local area, not to mention that iv been shooting for 15 years.

cheers pal

That certainly is early bud,but as has been said already deer don't read books,and freaky things do happen.It is always a lovely thing to see whenever it is.
Picture_027.jpg

if were getting technical then, a roe fawn!!. I was merely wanting to see in any one had been as lucky this year, thanks!

fallow ; fawn . red & sika ; calve . roe ; kid . This is what i mean by homework Darren , im not having a go mate its just one of those things that gets to me is all , all the best .

Think he is a non believer mate who reads to many books. Deer don't read them i'm afraid and like all things in nature a freak can and does happen from time to time.

You right freaks do occure , i wasnt having a go at Darren and im sure he can fight his own corner if he feels offended , ive yet to see a roe calve a fallow stag or a red doe . I have read some books , your right about that , but ive also worked with deer for about 30 years now ;)

evening, with all this disagree ment on the correct name for a roe's young i just googled it for arguments sake and it clearly states the correct name is a fawn but any way we all know what each of us means. people decribe things differently anyway. cheers pal.

The earliest I've ever seen a little grey Deer have babies was in 1984 and that was the 28th April.
We tend to have milder winters and weather in general down here in the south which would have a bearing on early births.

I am sure the hormone that kicks off the Roe deer feutus development for what every reason can be kicked early and late for that mater. I have seen KID,S born on the 14 of april and also on the 16 of june. That might have been a late mateing from the september rut ?false rut but hey thats nature.

Last edited:
Back