conditions on quarry - interpretations

bewsher500

Had a very interesting chat with a firearms officer at L&B police today.

they dont do "any legal quarry" anymore apparently.
If you have a 243 and it is listed for deer then according to him as far as they are concerned you can shoot anything.

the basis of giving permission for the "largest" quarry negating the need to specify the smaller ones.

If you have a 243 and it is listed for deer then according to him as far as they are concerned you can shoot anything.

For peace of mind I think I'd want that in writing from them. Far better to have it all sorted beforehand rather than inside a court of law. ;)

Had a very interesting chat with a firearms officer at L&B police today.

they dont do "any legal quarry" anymore apparently.

the basis of giving permission for the "largest" quarry negating the need to specify the smaller ones.

I think I would want to see that in writing.

I know what you mean, but I did ask the same question a while back and I wasn't flooded with responses (in fact I got none)

has there ever been a prosecution or conviction (or a caution) of anyone for shooting a fox (or anything else for that matter) whilst only having "deer" on their FAC?

I have never had anything other than "deer" listed for the .270, as have every member of my immediate and extended family (all .270) yet they are not the only quarry that it has been shot with them.

Has anybody, had anybody, looking over their shoulder whilst stalking, to make sure you don't shoot anything other than Deer, if that is all that is listed on their FC, or looking over their shoulder to see that you are using the correct bullet ?

Has anybody, had anybody, looking over their shoulder whilst stalking, to make sure you don't shoot anything other than Deer, if that is all that is listed on their FC, or looking over their shoulder to see that you are using the correct bullet ?

Exactly ;)

I know what you mean, but I did ask the same question a while back and I wasn't flooded with responses (in fact I got none)

has there ever been a prosecution or conviction (or a caution) of anyone for shooting a fox (or anything else for that matter) whilst only having "deer" on their FAC?

I have never had anything other than "deer" listed for the .270, as have every member of my immediate and extended family (all .270) yet they are not the only quarry that it has been shot with them.

I have got my .270 conditioned for deer and fox.

I did have to argue the case but in the end they agreed.

I am now trying to get any legal quarry on mine too as I have got an invite for a goat which won't be covered as my FAC says "Deer and Fox control"

Cheers

Ross

I have fox and any other lawful quarry on my FAC for .243 and was told by the firearms dept that would allow me to shoot Deer as well. This was also confirmed by the BASC.

It all varies so much across forces!

Last edited:
whem i applied for my fac i applied for a 243 for fox and deer. when they came out i explained i wanted it really for foxes (got into deer once i got it) and they said they proably wouldnt have let me have it just for fox as it was demed as over kill.

whem i applied for my fac i applied for a 243 for fox and deer. when they came out i explained i wanted it really for foxes (got into deer once i got it) and they said they proably wouldnt have let me have it just for fox as it was demed as over kill.

:rofl:

And the end result was?

I've had similar assurances from my (now Ex-)FEO, but it's no more than a nod-and-a-wink approval ....."because we know you;)".

They've got to follow the Good Reason quarry guide in the Appendix to the H.O.G. so can't put it in writing in case you take unreasonable advantage.

In the case of my .270 which only has "for shooting Deer" as a use, he said we wouldn't have a problem with my shooting the odd fox, but we would be concerned if you went out lamping with it... :doh:

I've had similar assurances from my (now Ex-)FEO, but it's no more than a nod-and-a-wink approval ....."because we know you;)".

They've got to follow the Good Reason quarry guide in the Appendix to the H.O.G. so can't put it in writing in case you take unreasonable advantage.

In the case of my .270 which only has "for shooting Deer" as a use, he said we wouldn't have a problem with my shooting the odd fox, but we would be concerned if you went out lamping with it... :doh:

I dont know the guy, met him for the first time, asked about any other legal quarry and he said "we dont do that. we put the largest quarry on there and if you have more money than sense and want to shoot rabbits go ahead!!"

as said before, it doesnt really matter as we all seem to be getting worked up about something that as far as I can see has NEVER been prosecuted/charged or cautioned!

as said before, it doesnt really matter as we all seem to be getting worked up about something that as far as I can see has NEVER been prosecuted/charged or cautioned!

Interesting.

I'm reminded of something I read in an article on breach of conditions, (not this one admittedly), by David Barnes at Shootinglaw.co.uk

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]the Police both as criminal law enforcement and firearms law authorities can and do on occasion enforce the letter of the law against Certificate Holders.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The writer submits there is no small element of discrimination against Certificate Holders. With an often hysterical press and public, the Certificate Holders are soft targets.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of facing prosecution and losing my FAC because the FLD won't or can't take the time to ensure that my FAC reads correctly and lawfully. YMMV.
[/FONT]

Wouldn't it be nice with a condition that simply said.....

'the holder of this certificate may shoot any legal quarry as per the standards of law applicable on ground where permission is held'

:lol: yeh

Paul, that is my understanding of the "and any other legal quarry" condition that I have on my ticket.

I already have one. It states:

The firearms and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer,vermin and any other lawful quarry and for zeroing on ranges, or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

This one simple condition covers .22RF, 22-250, 6.5x57, .308 and 12 bore slugs. Leaving me to make the decision on which firearm/ammunition is either suitable or lawful to use on which quarry.

They can do it, so why are some of them making it so complicated?

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]s can and do on occasion enforce the letter of the law against Certificate Holders.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]

I agree but who, where and when?!
without any discernible track record of it being an issue with the police, an offence that has been pursued/prosecuted/enforced are we just making matters worse by pursuing an overly detailed description of target species when actually the police dont seem to care either!? well at least that seems to be the case in some regions!

Wonder what the argument would go like, if you were to be pulled up for shooting something not specified in full on your f.a.c.?............... HMMN! this fox looks much deader than it should do!, it must have been "Overkilled"!:rofl:

I agree but who, where and when?!
without any discernible track record of it being an issue with the police, an offence that has been pursued/prosecuted/enforced are we just making matters worse by pursuing an overly detailed description of target species when actually the police dont seem to care either!? well at least that seems to be the case in some regions!

If it's not an issue, then why don't they all just simply enter an all encompassing condition as above that removes any doubt and have done with it? Maybe I'm a bit cynical about it, but having been under the microscope and investigated for an alleged breach of conditions - S.5, not quarry - I know how uncomfortable and stressful it can be. And let me assure you they will be thorough to ensure the letter of the law has been complied with if and when it happens. Believe me, you do not want to be placed in that kind of situation - and neither should you be.

Put simply, if you have a list of nominated species on your FAC and you shoot something not on that list then you are in breach of the condition. Ask yourself where a breach of conditions can go in the worst case scenario and make your decision based on that. Some may trust to luck and the disposition of a police officer/anti/member of the public, if or when it happens - I prefer to know that I wouldn't be putting myself on offer in the first place.

Last edited:
Back