The LEDs have it

rodkayak

I have bought a Deben Tristar after having a Night Searcher. The unit is so good that I will never go back to using a filament lamp again. I cannot believe how good it is.
It really is like when the Honda 750 in line fours arrived on the scene & blew the British Motorcycle industry out of the water.
The difference is that these are designed in the UK.

I have just shot my 16th fox tonight, since the 1 st Jan and have not recharged the unit & it still reads as full. They quote 6 hours with full beam.

I have bought a Deben Tristar after having a Night Searcher. The unit is so good that I will never go back to using a filament lamp again. I cannot believe how good it is.
It really is like when the Honda 750 in line fours arrived on the scene & blew the British Motorcycle industry out of the water.
The difference is that these are designed in the UK.

Cannot comment on the lamp but as for Honda 4's......................... Hmmm I built a lowrider using a 83 750 FB and was not very impressed with the build quality.. bolts that had about the same strength as plasticene..If I got a bike again it would most likely be Triumph T140E whilst not as fast on top end the Triumph peed over the japs on the lanes.

The only issue with the LED's is the light frequencies, for use with a filter. They tend to be made with a light output up in the blue end of the spectrum, as this makes a whiter looking light, and so they tend to be pretty deficient in the reds, which is the most popular filter colour. Also, they emit virtually no IR at all, so IR filters are a waste of time.

Having said that, I love my IR torches. I use a few LED lensers, as general torches and for hunting, and the beam strength and ability to light up things at fairly extreme ranges is excellent.

The people making LEDs are catching on to the fact that many people like LED torches but with the colour temp of a tungsten type light and they are now producing LEDs in a wide range of colour temps including the warmer, more red biased, colours we are used to from lights. I've no idea when these colour temps will make it through to commercial products but as the LED technology is advancing so fast and as the demand for the latest "trendy" LED torches seems almost endless I suspect it will not be long.

rodkayak

What is the effective range of the LED lamp? We use a blitz which has exceptional range (crop wiring!) plus a cluson shootalite which has a range of about 200m, although it can still pick up eyes at 400m.

Ta

I have just bought a LED LENSER H7 and it is fantastic 170 lumens 180meter beam 54hours burn time.I have had several diffrent head torches over the years in work and mountain rescue and find this to be the best I have had by a long way.

@scotspine

LED torches are effective to around 300m for ID (model dependent). The balance of power and weight is becoming less and less of a compromise. The torch below runs off 1 18650 battery - the equivalent of 2 CR123a's (what you put in a camera) and produces 345 lumen in a tight beam to well over 200yds. It weighs 130g. I filter it using coloured cellophane from theatre lighting (when I need to) - the whole set up is in the order of £60 and is (IMO) better than Tiablo, Fenix, Masterlite et al at £150.

CIMG0891.jpg

I've just ordered the next gen one of these - same body, new LED at 800 lumen, which I hope will stretch the beam further. I'll let you know how it performs when I've tested it. To answer your question though, it is a good foil for the traditional lamps - noting the comments on filtering etc. I use this on my own - a striker when out with a partner.

Deben Tri Star Pro
Without the filter it is good to approx 300 M. More than enough for Cfs. The red filter works really well & all the 16 foxes have been body shot with a red filter at approx 100 M

Eric...
Yes, I too thought they were a tad on the high side but they look well designed and functional. What did you pay for your setup ? Torch, switch, mounts, battery etc ?

Rocky

Deben Tri Star Pro
Without the filter it is good to approx 300 M. More than enough for Cfs. The red filter works really well & all the 16 foxes have been body shot with a red filter at approx 100 M
+1 on the tristar pro..its unreal. you cant convert lumenemsenems to watts to compare but..compared to my old deben max pro at 100watt...the tri star is way better!!...and a 7ah battery that would be flat in 20 Min's with the max on continuous use..you just cant flatten it with the tri star!!

Back