.30 Cal T8 moderator or .270?

flytie

Dear all, I am having a bit of a sort out with equipment, working out what moderator will go with which rifle etc. and I came across an anomoly.

I have a T8 moderator which I have been using on my 6.5x55 and on the bushing thread end of the moderator there is some writing on it; BR T8 .30 1007

Then on the side of the moderator are the proof marks and .270 WIN followed by the crossed swords device.

Now being of an equiring mind, I can tell you that a 155gn A-Max .308 bullet will drop through the moderator. But is it a .30 cal mod or a .270?

Regards, Simon

when i had my .308/.270 about 5 years ago i got them both screw cut and fitted with t8s they were both .30 calls,i was told they made 3, one for .22.one up to 25 call..and one to 30 call..it looks like yours is a .30 call but been proofed for .270..i think the hole is 8.5mm.....i now have a .30 call t8 on my .243, its proofed..222/22.250
  • 7.5 mm hole takes 222, 223, 22-250, 6mm, 243, etc.
  • 8.5 mm hole takes 6.5mm 270, 7mm, 308 , 30-06 etc.
  • 10.5 mm hole takes 9.3mm, 338 etc.
  • 13 mm hole takes 45-70 etc.
  • The reinforced "magnum" model (stamped "M") for cartridges above 30-06 case capacity has 10.5 mm exit aperture as standard (other aperture sizes to special order).
here you go!!

Last edited:
I would imagine it's a .30cal mod that's been sent to proof on a .270? did you have it from new?

I checked this with Jackson rifles a minute ago as I had to call about a stock, this is a .30 cal mod and can be used on a .308 without a problem.

ATB
Moses

I would imagine it's a .30cal mod that's been sent to proof on a .270? did you have it from new?

I checked this with Jackson rifles a minute ago as I had to call about a stock, this is a .30 cal mod and can be used on a .308 without a problem.

ATB
Moses

Moses, yes I had it from new. It came from Macleods with my Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55. And thank you for checking for me, it is much appreciated.

Simon

surely its a 6.5 x 55?

ORG, it is indeed a 6.5x55 moderator according to my FAC, and we all know how relaible they are ;)

Simon

Moses, yes I had it from new. It came from Macleods with my Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55. And thank you for checking for me, it is much appreciated.

Simon

ORG, it is indeed a 6.5x55 moderator according to my FAC, and we all know how relaible they are ;)

Simon
glad to see youve got it sorted!!

It is as Moses has said, a 30cal Mod that has been proofed on a 270 rifle.

My ASE Utra is a 30cal, but is stamped 260rem as that is the rifle it was proofed on.

Irrelevant now as I use it on the 30/06. The 260 gets the Roedale which has no markings at all.

my ASE northstar is .30 CAL moderator and i use it on .270 and 6.5x55 with no problems and if had a 30.06 i would use it on that too !

That's ok then, the T8 will come off the 6.5 and go on to the .308 (with a new rear bush). The 6.5 will then recieve the Roedale :) Happy days!!

Simon

Steyr, Your post was most informative! The world of moderators and proofing is a veritable minefield, and common sense does not always seem to apply.

Simon

Simon i think you are correct!!..if you look at my post... off the top of my head!!.. you will see that i did not get the calibres all correct,but i did get the aperture correct at 8.5mm for 30call. this was the main figure that stuck in my head!.. i then cut/copy/pasted (relatively new to me!!:smug:) the destructions from Jackson rifles! and as you can see, i was correct at 8.5mm for 30 caliber..the reason i remember 8.5 for .30 cal is, you are right both my t8s had different markings on them from the manufacturer and the only way to tell for sure was to measure it!!...both were bought new and fitted by nsac. the one on my .243 was bought second hand off nsac when i put the rifle in to get screw cut, it too has nothing to say what call its for,..it seems that all t8s have different markings on them and the only safe way is to measure the hole...steyr

Back