Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle practice

Rifle practice

Was wondering how often do you all go out and practcie with your rifles say shooting 15 + rounds at paper targets with varying ranges and shooting positions.

The other day i shot a stag at 395 yards in perfect conditions there was a group of them stood looking at me and the farmer in one of his crop fields there were very few options to get closer besides had full confidence in making a good shot.

The round hit nicely through both lungs and that was that .
    Anyway the farmer was very pleased and as i went to deal with the stag one of his mates turned up also a deer stalker.
    This bloke immediately attaked me saying what the hell was i doing shooting a deer that far and thats not deer stalking.

I explained that i wasnt trying to stalk it i was trying to kill it for crop protection.
    I then explained that i practice everyweek with my rifle at targets out too 600 yards {i wouldnt shoot a deer that far] and i had full confidence and if required could give him a demonstration.This he delcined.

I know countless stalkers who go out buy a box of 100 g normas zero at 100 yards with a sporter rifle an little 6x power scope.These guys never ever go and actually practice with there rifles .
    They then critisise me for taking long shots my argument to them is who is more ethicle the guy whot practices all the time at varying distances or the bloke who zeroes at 1oo yards never practices with his rifle but then takes all manner of shots off sticks but to him thats all ok because its under 70 yards.

Hi Ven2

A stag is a big target compared to a roe buck. I think a lot of people get on there high horses about ethics with an oversimplified argument about distance only.
    A new member in his enthusiasm as a novice shot a roe at 160yds in the lower jaw and luckily killed the deer. the risk factor for wounding outweighed the chance of a clean kill, the kill zone being highly mobile and @2" square. The broadside of a red stag has a kill zone of 12" square and less mobile is a less risky shot IMHO even @ 350+ yds.
    It all comes down to experience, practice and judgement.
    The more you practice and learn form the not so good shots the better you become. Its the ones that constantly repeat the same mistakes that we have to watch out for.

i DONT TAKE SHOTS OUT BY SAY ABOUT 200 ,that for me is what it is about the stalk .Now i take it from your post your are a target shooter and will i hope realise that we are dealing with and animal that can run at 40 miles per hour also has a zero to 10 yards in less than 0.5 of a second. So shooting at the distances you shoot has its risks so while you play about with your range finders and practice a lot i would also suggest you leave the chaps alone that concentrate on the field craft required to get close to there target. Who really enjoy the stalking the at one with nature for me its called the buzz.

I couldnt agree more with you it is indeed all about the stalk i would far rather stalk a deer too 100 yards but as i said i was out to kill these deer not for a sporting thrill.
    Im not critising anyone it was more the other way round each to his own it was just that this particular bloke had a go at me for doing what i can easily do.
    Any target shooter wil know that hitting a quietly feeding stag in the chest at 395 yards in a 1 mph wind is hardly a difficult shot.
    The only way i could have got near them was to crawl through a 400 yard long field of corn .This would have never worked because they would have seen the tops of the corn moving it would also have required a free hand shot
    which i am not very confident with far rather it be a further shot off the bipod.

And no i wont be trying to shoot a deer further than that this was an exception but all my target work made it easy.

MY qeastion was also how often do you if ever go and have a practice with your rifle.

I don't practice very often and only shoot about 150 rounds in a full year .
    I don't have a bi pod or a moderator nor do i have any gadgets I prefare to travel light and try the getting close and personal

I think most stalkers shoot very little ammo in a year when out actually hunting, so that really is irrelevant, if you don't practice regularly then you are as guilty of bad practice as those you criticise.
    I could hit a target at 1000 yards with the right scope for the job and get good results, at 400 - 500 yards also but the thought of taking a large live target at 200-300 yards is not something to be done lightly unless it is something you have extensive experience of.

I used to shoot a lot of bullets for practice in the past but is not like training for a marathon. You dont need to constantly put the miles in to get decent results so you dont need 100's of bullets shot down a 100m range to get good results hunting.
    80%+ of shoot skill is mental preparation and relaxation. The reason many people shoot so often is to fill range time and for the fun of it. I dont see a lot of quality time being put in. For example a novice can get a good sub MOA group after a days couching you come back 5 years later and the group size has remained the same.
    Most mistakes made with shot placement are due to a lack of concentration and clear thinking about breath control,range, windage, shot angle and follow through, not calibre of make of rifle. A lot of hunters blame their deficiencies on the quality of their ammunition/rifle, very rarely will you see a runner blame his shoes.
    PS I have shot a fair few deer at +200m.

Ok, head above the parapet time for me!!.
    I guess that you'll be able to figure out, fairly quickly, that I don't post very often, but, not a day goes by when I don't check the site. I just choose to stay in the background.
    Firstly, I was one of the quickest to criticise Basil. Mate, I haven't changed my views but with hindsight, I should not have allowed my emotions to take over and should have been helpful, not overly critical. Sorry.
    Now for the practice thing. I have put about 2000 rounds through my rifle in the last four years. (Well, one of my rifles) About 95% of these shots have been at deer targets ranging from 100yds to 600 yards. I can happily alter the elevation on my scope and would expect to hit my target 99% of the time.What generally causes a problem is swirling wind somewhere out between my muzzle and aim point. But not really a major concern when punching paper.
    The other 5% of my shots are at deer, Muntjac, Roe and mostly Fallow. I don't trophy shoot, only cull. I do head shoot, but only up to about 70 yds and only when I have a stable shooting position. I have shot Fallow at 280yds or so but only from a very stable shooting position.
    I have been fortunate not to loose anything but I have shot a beast in the spine and I certainly didn't aim there! So I'm far from perfect.
    But what I do have, and consider very very important is a respect for my quarry. This respect will not allow me to cull at ridiculous distances because although I know that I can (on paper at least) emotions, adrenalin and all sorts of wierd things come into play when looking at a live animal.
    So, head shots, sometimes. Fair distances, sometimes. Thought for my quarry, always.
    This is what works for me. I don't expect everyone to share my values but they keep my conscience clear.
    Fire away!!

Just got back from the range an hour ago. Fired a few shots of the bench to dirty the barrel and then had a couple of series at the running moose.
    Most of our deer / moose are shot driven
    All shooting practice is good but the bench should only be used for sighting in. Practicing shooting offhand/with a stick, sitting and knealing are more important to my thinking.

Bought 500 fmj for practice and there won't be many left by the time the moose hunting starts in October.

The thing with practice is it should give you confidence in your rifle and your shooting ability.

I've shot fallow at 250 yrds but i don't make a habit of it

target shooting

i shoot quite a lot of practise rounds each year. this means that my confidence is pretty high. I have shot a fallow doe at 220yards off sticks. this is with my remmy model 7 7mm08. but i also don't make a habit of reaching out so far.

I have had a bit of a think about whether i would shoot a red stag at 395 yards. i think i would be a bit reluctant with the remmy but with my parkerhale .30-06 and a rangefinder and a ballistics card or a well memorised ballistics card i would take the shot.