here we go again !

User00014

i am on the hunt for another rifle , im planning on selling the 6.5x55 and keeping the .270 .

no im looking for some thing on the bigger side ive thought of 30.06 but i would quite like some thing unusual ?:confused:

i can pretty much go as big as i like up to 375H&H MAG have got land cleared for it for deer but im just bloody confused !?

i quite fancy a 300win mag but its not unusuall and available in lefty handed :D:D

im open for surgestions PLEASE !

.30-06 Ackley Improved?

Have a look at the Dakota range of cartridges. 300 Dakota pushing a 180grn at 3200FPS! Or a 300 Ultra Mag, same round 100fps faster. Our American friends on here may tell you a bit more about these chamberings.

Well a bit bigger than what your got and not so common now.......................... try 8mm Mauser (7.92mm) S&B do a nice 196 Grn SPCE bullet at 2600fps....

I'll second that 8x57. A fine and classic hunting round. Don't know about a lefty unless you had, say, a Savage rebarreled. How about the .35 Whelen?? Big and burly, and you can load .38/357 bullets in it for off-hand practice.~Muir

How about a left hand Tikka T3 in 9.3x62, fantastic calibre slightly above the whelen
and with good ammo availability in Europe. The T3's have a good selection of aftermarket bits.
edi

So you decided to bite the bullet ay? Better hold onto the 6x42... You going still thinking about a rebarrel for the t3? I would- end up with a better rifle than a new one for less, and calibre choice isn't limited. So bearing that in mind:
1- 358 norma mag
2- 9.3x62
3- 35 whelen

Although I am fond of unusual cartridges with the prices today one must consider this and their powder usage :(.

Of the Winchester WSM's the .325 is THE ONLY one I would consider but do wonder how long it will survive. Cases might become a problem in the no too distant future. However we look at it it's got to be your decison at the end. May I wish you luck and fun in your deliberations :p.

What about a 325WSM or an 8mm Remington Magnum?

ATB

Tahr

now ive been musing through my nosler re-loading hand book and im quite taken with either the 8mm remington mag or the 8x57 (this one really tickles my fancy !). its just to find the right rifle or maybe have a semi custom built !? just a matter of getting the finances sorted !

Lee if I was you I would pursue Guntrader, back shelves of gunshops, small ads on here and other sites with a open mind on calibre, so long as it is 30 cal or above matched to a 30-06 sized case or bigger I don’t think you will go too far wrong. The advantage of keeping an open mind is that you should be able to pick up a real bargain.

Many years ago I missed out on a super rifle, 300WM, fluted barrel, stainless steel action and mag’ system, threaded with muzzle brake, it could have been mine for £400 but I had already had a slot on my ticket for a different calibre and at the time I didn’t have the nonc to get a variation to change it.

ATB

Tahr

Lee if I was you I would pursue Guntrader, back shelves of gunshops, small ads on here and other sites with a open mind on calibre, so long as it is 30 cal or above matched to a 30-06 sized case or bigger I don’t think you will go too far wrong. The advantage of keeping an open mind is that you should be able to pick up a real bargain.

Many years ago I missed out on a super rifle, 300WM, fluted barrel, stainless steel action and mag’ system, threaded with muzzle brake, it could have been mine for £400 but I had already had a slot on my ticket for a different calibre and at the time I didn’t have the nonc to get a variation to change it.

ATB

Tahr

Following on from that, what about a .338 A-Square?

Back