Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yardage estimations.

Yardage estimations.

Without the use of range finders and similar, how good do you reckon you are at estimating yardages?

basil i have tested my self and up to about 150 -170 i am pretty good but after that not only me but my mates who were having a play with a range finder suffered quite badly.

Hi Basil,

I suppose without a laser range finder I've no way of knowing if I'm any good or not! I suspect I'm not and I tend to over estimate ranges.

Without known reference points like roads or houses I find it very difficult e.g. across open country or trees. I do pace things out a lot for zeroing and find that 50 yards is farther away than I actually think it is.

I do think about getting a range finder but its another bit of kit to hump around and break - I'll be setting targets across my common shooting points and callibrating my aim points to them.

That's how I'm planning to help myself get better.

Get to know your ground well and its land marks you can then get a rough idea by pacing it out or using a range finder.

Although I do not carry a range finder with me all the time, I often have one with me on the open hill, as clients often question the range when you advise them of the distance,and over dead ground it can be difficult to estimate the range.

Right now Basil I know I am pretty duff at it. Years ago I was much better, but that was down to constant practice during what was euphemistically called "background activity" on the range detail.

Since stalking with Varmint243 I'm getting better as we play the "estimate the range to that tree" game. Varmint estimates and then I tell him the answer - as I'm the one with the laser binos! To be fair, he's pretty damn close and I put that down to the amount of foxing he's done. Once again it is practice & experience that count.

I'm not too bad out to 200 - 225m. Beyond that it is a guessing game. Once you go over 350-400m, it is easy to be wrong by 150m.

i've wondered this also for distances in certain fields and a good way to find out is to go to google-maps.

zoom in untill you get a scale of 200 metres per inch or use a scale rule.

so yes you are basically placing the rule on your PC monitor.

marking lengths of fields using this method probably isnt as acurate as a laser range finder...but when u dont have the hardware then good ole' tinternet has its uses.

warning gets quite addictive

Thanks Bandit, I think it is down to the all the picking up and pacing out the foxes we have shot over the years. It's suprising how the same distance looks so much differant in the day light compared to night . It is quite good to know that when you estimate a range and comfirm it with the range finder and your not that for out.
    Also as Malc has said, 'know your ground'. Make mental notes of trees and landmarks etc, and range them so you know their distance.

I find that out to 150 I'm quite accurate. Having spent a childhood hunting with air rifles out to 25 I can dupilicate this distance but after 150 yards it gets a bit vague. I have a pair of range finders and spend hours pinging just for intrests sake. Dead ground always messes up my estimations.