Level 1

Hi I think you will find that you can use anything that you would normally use during a stalk .ie sticks , bipod or rucksack.
If you can convince the assessor that you normally carry a sand bag around with you when stalking then again???

Hi, yes on the prone shooting from 100yds according to the bumf i have for the DSC1 i'm due to do in Sept, it says any shooting rest (coat, bag, gunslip or bipod) what ever is available really, PM me if you want to chat about it?

Tikkat3

Sandbag NOT allowed when I did it and I think the instructions to Candidate actually mention it is not allowed. As others have said, rolled up jacket, bum bag packed with all sorts (concealed sand?) is permitted. But walking to the range with one hand dragging on the ground might give it away!

I'm going to don the flack jacket here...

If you're not confident enough or cannot put your shots into a 4" group at 100yds in field conditions (i.e. without a sand bag) then perhaps you're not ready for the DSC1 yet?

Not to say you can't do it... just that the DSC shooting test wouldn't really be a test if such assistance was permitted.

DC

Hi,Can you guys tell me if a sand filled bag is allowed when doing the Level 1 shooting assesment?.Cheers,CJ

Hi crawfordjohn, Next time your down the the range rifle with bi-pod on and rifle mounted to right shoulder.Bring your left arm to the back of the stock and make a fist with your hand.Rest the butt of the rifle on top of your fist. Tighten your fist to raise the stock and relax fist to lower stock.This should easily give you enough support and negate the the need for any other rear support.take a few deep breaths and forget all around you and just squeeze off when ready.Remember a few people may not of even of fired a rifle before the course.Just go and have a good time meet some new people,listen and learn. Dont be nervous, you have no need.Hope this helps you on the day.Cheers High seat.

CJ

Different providers do different tests, so talk to your course provider and get the details from them and what target will be used. Then you can go and practice what is required. What High seat says is excellent advice. On small point to add is that you can also grip the sling and push the stock into your shoulder. Position yourself so that as you breath in and out the cross hairs moves up and down through the target.

Regards JCS

Crawfordjohn, can I just ask why you don't use a bipod instead of a sand bag, surely that would be easier and more practical? I am not asking this question to be awkward or to fault you, I am asking purely out of interest mate.

I think this may shine a little light on your Question Crawfordjohn.

4. Shooting. This has 2 parts. First, the candidate must put 3 shots inside a 4 inch circle on a zero target from 100 yards. Three attempts at this are allowed in any one day. When that has been achieved, the candidate can then have 3 attempts (in any one day) to put:

• (a) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 100 yards (in any position using normal stalking aids such as rucksack or bipod);
  • (b) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 70 yards sitting or kneeling (again normal aids such as bipod or sticks may be used);
  • (c) 2 shots into the killing area of a deer target from 40 yards standing (sticks may be used).
Taken from: http://www.dmq.org.uk/dsc1assessment.htm

Unless they have possibly changed the Rules. I may be a bit :confused:.

All the best Buck.

PS. Sorry no mention of Sandbag !!

If you want to use a sand bag i can see no problem with that at all but you then need to carry it with you the rest of the day. Through the shooting and the safty walk. I was talking to Ronnie Rose about this type of thing because we are running our first assement day and he said that some one brought a bench and rest with him . Ronnie said he could use it but must carry it on his back all day long. The chap made a fuss but left the bench a rests in his jeep.
So i would say its your call would you take a sand bag stalking all day if yes the answer the YES .;)

Last edited:
Just buy a Harris swivel bi-pod, it will serve you WELL during the shooting test and for 50 years later... I was told that 50% of candidates fail on the shooting and 50% of them are experienced shooters who think they only have to turn up without prior practice as they know it all.

Crawfordjohn, can I just ask why you don't use a bipod instead of a sand bag, surely that would be easier and more practical? I am not asking this question to be awkward or to fault you, I am asking purely out of interest mate.

Hi the sandbag was for the butt.CJ

...unless you had a cull which you should have processed on your last trip.

Use a bipod - other hand under the stock end - very accurate.

i always take a very small canvas puppy dummy for dog training when i go stalking, it weighs nothing and easily fits into a pocket, its handy to put under the stock when taking a shot of the bipod and really handy to rest on a gate post or tree stump, its often been a god send, I used it when i did my dsc1 shooting test

mike

Crawfordjohn,
I would suggest the purchase of a MONO-POD this fits on to the back of your rifle butt by means of the QD stud. I have one on one of my rifles and its the Third support your looking for. I purchased mine a while ago but it cost about £60 which is not cheap.

The best thing to do however is get down the range and practice until your 100% confident at putting 3 shots inside the 4" target at 100yards. many people who fail DMQ 1 shooting tests dont put enough effort in to there shooting prior to taking the test so be as prepared as you can, and practice makes perfect.

Good Luck Dalkur

Many thanks for the advice dalkur and I'll investigate the mono-pod.I would like to be able to get in a lot more practice but the price of ammunition is very high and it's just

not possible for me to spend too much on it. I have decided to practice my technique with my .22 and hopefully transfer that to my .243. CJ

CJ

Practising with the .22 is a help, but you can't beat sending .243 rounds down range in quantity on a regular basis from a variety of positions. The best I have shot as an adult was when I was in Kentucky and getting to the range most Wednesday evenings, sending 2-400 rounds of .22, pistol and rifle rounds down range and getting good coaching from the locals.

Rgds JCS

Back