Which way do you work up a load?

dave1372

As there are so many variables when it comes to load development I thought I would be interested to see in what order you tackle certain variables to help reduce group size :

My thoughts are that for each bullet type/weight I use I should first of look at the powder load first, then when comfortable that a certain load gives a decent grouping then at that point I should then try to improve it by looking at bullet seating depth/distance from the lands etc.

Is this the best way?

Last edited:
Dave

That sounds a good approach. The only comment I would add is that I don't vary the primer or the brass when loading for the two rifles in my gallery. At present I only use CCI 200 primers, Sako brass in the 243 and Remington brass in the 260. In time when the current brass gives up the ghost, I will migrate to better brass.

Regards JCS

I would substitute bullet weight , (in most cases), for bullet type.

Not me. I would switch bullets. My .222 gives fair accuracy with Hornady 52 grain BTHP but shoots the Speer bullets of the same weight and configuration into bug-holes. I usually let usage dictate weight but will go up or down in weight once I exhaust my avenues of choice at a given bullet weight, or if the needs change, of course.~Muir

As there are so many variables when it comes to load development I thought I would be interested to see in what order you tackle certain variables to help reduce group size :

My thoughts are that for each bullet type/weight I use I should first of look at the powder load first, then when comfortable that a certain load gives a decent grouping then at that point I should then try to improve it by looking at bullet seating depth/distance from the lands etc.

Is this the best way?

I was taught length and then load. I load 30 to 50 rounds with a middle-of-the-road powder charge, all at max COL, then take a press plus workmate to my sighting in spot and fire off three shot groups and if I am not happy with the group I squeeze the next 3 rounds in by 5 thou and try again.

Once I have a good group I then load another lot at that best length - but with differing powder weights in 0.5gr increments.

FYI my present 22-250 shoots 50gr VMax best (1/2 inch at 200 yards) at 150 thou off the lands, my previous 22-250 shot 55gr Sierra's best at minus 137 whereas my 7mm-08 shoots 100gr, 140gr and 175 gr at minus 15, minus 10 and minus 25 thou respectively. All are fairly near flat out (max loads).

All bullets are batch weighed and all cases are trimmed to equal length.

It WILL drive you mad - but the end result is 100% confidence in pointing your rifle at something you intend to kill and knowing (all things being equal) you will not wound it.

Enjoy!

On most of my rifles if I seat the bullets out to the rifling they wont fit in the magazine so I just seat them to mag length and work up a load by adjusting the powder charge.
Over the years I have found that if my rifle wont shoot a particular bullet with a recommended powder it just wont shoot that bullet with any powder.

I am a beginner and have only loaded for 6.5 x 55 so far.

I was advised to go for length first with this cartridge and then adjust powder weight. I measured the max cartrudge length with a stoney point gauge and then backed off by the amount reccomended in the loading manual I was using. I dropped on an accurate load without needing to adjust powder.

Cheers,

Bob

Last edited:
I started with just above min loads, and loaded in 0.5g increments to just under max loads - not touching min or max. this gave in .243 with varget - 35g, 35.5g, 36g, 36.5g, and 37g. I seated the bullet 1 calibre depth, which gave a COAL of 2.700", where the max for .243 is stated at 2.710". I was lucky the 35.5g was sweet as a nut, and no more tweaking was necessary....I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I was taught length and then load. I load 30 to 50 rounds with a middle-of-the-road powder charge, all at max COL, then take a press plus workmate to my sighting in spot and fire off three shot groups and if I am not happy with the group I squeeze the next 3 rounds in by 5 thou and try again.

Once I have a good group I then load another lot at that best length - but with differing powder weights in 0.5gr increments.

FYI my present 22-250 shoots 50gr VMax best (1/2 inch at 200 yards) at 150 thou off the lands, my previous 22-250 shot 55gr Sierra's best at minus 137 whereas my 7mm-08 shoots 100gr, 140gr and 175 gr at minus 15, minus 10 and minus 25 thou respectively. All are fairly near flat out (max loads).

All bullets are batch weighed and all cases are trimmed to equal length.

It WILL drive you mad - but the end result is 100% confidence in pointing your rifle at something you intend to kill and knowing (all things being equal) you will not wound it.

Enjoy!

I like this approach and use it all the time. It is much more logical than randomly chucking increased amounts of powder. You need to have faith and keep pushing that bullet down into the case. I have seen guys write off bullet/powder combo's when they got to 60 or 70 thou. I have found very good accuracy with bullets 120 -140 thou off.

Back