There seems to be some confusion about the 'dangers' of eating venison from deer that have been darted using immobilon.
Immobilon is incredibly toxic to humans, and a very small amount can kill humans in a matter of minutes.
It is a fact that deer treated with Immobilon CANNOT go into the human food chain.
The reason being that Large Animal Immobilon is NOT LICENSED for food animals in the UK.
Until only a few years ago, Immobilon had a withdrawal period of 28 days, meaning that venison - or any other food animals - was safe to eat after that period.
So what's changed? ............ None of the drug companies want to pay to get the drug licensed again. This is likely to cost 100's of thousands of pounds, and for the relatively small amounts that are sold each year, it's simply just not worth it. So now it's not licensed.
In reality, once the drug has metabolised by the liver and diluted in the blood, then it's toxicity is very limited indeed. After 28 days have passed, then I doubt there will be any harmful residues left in the meat whatsoever.
Prior to the drug becoming unlicensed, I have personally eaten a great deal of venison from darted animals and never been affected in any way ........... (I did go fat and bald, but I reckon that was more to do with the natural ageing process rather than eating poisoned meat!)
Hope that clears a few things up.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence