Where are the bucks?

Cut+Squirt

I have been out three times in the last two days and have seen four does and no bucks..................Isnt it typical !!!

Anyone else having the same luck?

:old: I was wondering the same thing!!!!!!!!!!

I was out 3 times this weekend and saw:
a. 1 Fox
b. 50+ cockbirds
c. 20+ henbirds
d. 5 does
e. 4 hares
f. 2 partridges
g. 4 ducks

....no bucks...even stayed out extra late to make sure I wasn't missing out on some 'last light' action,,but alas, no bucks....

another issued I had this weekend, I would stumble over the does!, I would be stalking, coming around small coppice woods or large shrub areas, and BANG, a doe 5 yds in front of me...time and time again, scared the h*ll out of both me and the does,...I'm lingering on the frayed ends of sanity after that..

Hi you guys you should not let them get hold of a calander it happens to me every year.march 25th loads of bucks 1st april a few in velvet hardly a clean buck to be found,:confused: seriously though I think a lot has to do with farmers and jo public moving about more.fertiliser spreading/spraying crops etc have a big effect.having said that been out twice this weekend found buck in velvet/clean buck and shot 3 foxes seen six three on sky line and its foxes first on that permission so bucks have been left alone one at 20yds nither of us wanted to move.

same tale here in northumberland, bucks very hard to find, shot a fox on saturday evening from a high seat, it had a badly injured foot, saw does on sunday morning, but no bucks.

I was out with some clients over weekend 3 nice big roe bucks shot and one very nice fallow buck shot never spotted less than about 20+ deer between us each outing they could have shot more but were only interested in big bucks

Once the ruts finished Bucks just seem to disappear can't find them anywhere, might see a bit of movement again in September but won't expect to see much until then.

Same for me in yorkshire was out last night and there was 4 does and 6 kids (twins and 2 singles unattended other twins with mum) but not a buck in sight not to bothered as in the last few years once harvest is done they tend to reappear around on the stubbles so fingers crossed i will get a chance to catch up with the possible silver I have nocking about yet this season once he's spread his seed.

George

Out on saturday in Hawick area only saw 1 buck 500 yds away and he was on his own not even feeding just mooching around and slipped back into the forest
2 does late on but very quiet

as others have said

usually once the rut is over in your area the bucks will appear to vanish!!!

they'll be out of condition and tired, i think basically they go into recuperation mode and keep their heads down so to speak.

sometimes around late september ish you sometimes can see what appears to be a "false" rut and get a bit more activity again.

but in general straight after the rut? they vanish:cool:

sauer /paul

Bucks on my patch in Hampshire have been hard to find too. I haven't shot one since the end of May and have seen two since then. One was on the neighbouring land and the other was two weeks ago just on dark. I had waited for a couple of hours and seen nothing, then, as darkness fell a doe an twins came out of the wood I was watching, a buck chased the doe out into the field, they did a wide circle and went back into the wood. I can only guess it was a buck, it was that dark by then I could just make out it had something more than ears on it's head.
I'm just wondering if it's worth the fuel to drive down there again tonight. :rolleyes:

I thought I had missed my opportunity myself five minutes from where I live. I was watching a buck two weeks ago following a doe, I had my rifle but it was getting dark and I was just happy watching. After only seeing does for the last two weeks I have been kicking myself for wasting the chance but went out last night and got him. An old buck with malformed antlers and with quite a few scares on him. Even though the antler weren't large he weighed what seemed like a ton (I have rope burns on my shoulders to prove it).
I will do a proper write up and put some pictures up later.

kicking myself saw lots of bucks three weeks ago but i have been desperately trying to nail two foxes so left the bucks never saw any rutting action so i thaught i had plenty of time the last few weeks all i have seen is does and kids not a buck in sight gutted.

I was out with the lads at Jelen Deer at the weekend in Hampshire.
We saw 3 bucks and we watched a buck mate a doe off and on for about 20mins before we could get a shot.
It was not a good buck about 3 years old with about 5 inch antlers but with no tines so it is now a dead buck.
Their walk in chiller now works.
Thanks for a good weekend.

Still seeing plenty bucks at estate Tony i did one outing last week and got 2
and a goat yesterday AM and another buck at night, also saw 2 more big 6 pointers
and loads of Reds showing , roll on the stags in October

Back