After the Rut

mudman

How do roe buck generally behave after the rut?

I have been told they lie low for a good while whilst they regain their energy, how long does this period of minimal activity normally last??

mudman said:
How do roe buck generally behave after the rut?

I have been told they lie low for a good while whilst they regain their energy, how long does this period of minimal activity normally last??
till next july :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got to agree with that!!!

So far about 18 outings, 1 buck

Looking forward to the fabled rut then find myself at work for the duration, such is life :)

A bit like Mudman. 11 outings- 0 Buck.
Mine is arable and livestock. Masses of rape, which roe disappear into, then spirit themselves away when this is cut.
Once the wheat is harvested I find them, but as for the rut, I seldom see any activity.

After the rut Bucks do what a great many men do. Roll over and go to sleep :lol:

No they always seem to go to ground after the rut, but then start to show more in mid to late September, and in September you can sometimes get a false rut with Roe.

I came back from holiday yesterday and managed to get back and have a look at my bit of ground today. It looks like I had 2 or 3 bucks and does doing the chasing through the wheat while I was away and the farmer noticed the damage as well so I am off out asap. Now, what I would like to know is, is it too late to try calling them? Are they too shagged out now to bother?
Think I will go away a different month next year. I have not seen any Roe on the ground since may and then they turn up while I am away!! Typical!

Rut

I took 3 animals at the weekend that were still involved in rutting activity and a friend of mine saw a buck today displaying clasic rutting signs so dont writ it off completely yet.

Dave

Andy L said:
Now, what I would like to know is, is it too late to try calling them? Are they too shagged out now to bother?

No point in calling if there are no does in season in the area - the bucks will know that something is wrong. So if the rut's over, forget it.

The Mole said:
Andy L said:
Now, what I would like to know is, is it too late to try calling them? Are they too shagged out now to bother?

No point in calling if there are no does in season in the area - the bucks will know that something is wrong. So if the rut's over, forget it.
with mole on this
but like i told you when you were up with me
try the call if you can see the buck , that way you will tell by the bucks behaviour if he is interested , if he is you know the results :lol:
if not then leave the call in your pocket and let the bugger rest
start on them elusive fallow ;)
take care ole mate
stone

Back