Lowland stalking licence

Baldrick

A query about arranging a lowland stalking licence, from the landowner's perspective:

I manage a large farm where I am looking to let out the fallow/roe/muntjac stalking to a local chap. The opportunity for the soon-to-be-licensed deer manager to make a few quid out of the sheer volume of deer here has not escaped me. I want to draw up a lowland stalking licence where neither the stalker or the landowner is ripped off.

Has anyone on here worked on the landowner's side of the fence, and able to advise on how such an agreement would be priced? I am thinking along the lines of a base rent, with a share of any trophy fees/accompanied stalking fees/venison sales.

Any advice would be appreciated. As I said, the landowner already has a stalker earmarked for the job.

Balders

Balders,

What about the deer? If the potential deer manager and/or the farmer are focused on the £££, its likely the deer that will suffer by being over shot or badly managed.

You need to decided what your deer management aims are first, and then design a cash model that promotes that and also some sort of termination clause the land owner can invoke if he thinks the deer manager is either not acting responsibly or is abusing his position...

Regards,

Pete

I know you said there is already a stalker lined up but have you thought of a syndicate instead. From what I see there is a great shortage of good lowland syndicates so demand would be great.

I have thought long and hard. If you want the job done properly, pay someone to do it. It is a bit harsh to want "pest controll", and expect who ever does it to pay for the privalige. Like wise if you want deer management...pay for it!!

But if you can trust some one to do what you want, and they give you a service, why not let them keep what little they will make once their time has been taken into account!

I know if i had good deer ground i would want an income off it and the best way if its good ground down south in my opinion would be a syndicate . Depending on the size of the ground and there should be no hassle just name your price and take the cash eg 1000 a man would not be unreasonable and a 10 man syndicate will give you more than one stalker and clients. Make sure the man on your ground can run the syndicate properly . ;)

Duncs said:
I have thought long and hard. If you want the job done properly, pay someone to do it. It is a bit harsh to want "pest controll", and expect who ever does it to pay for the privalige. Like wise if you want deer management...pay for it!!

But if you can trust some one to do what you want, and they give you a service, why not let them keep what little they will make once their time has been taken into account!
Couldn't agree more. I would of thought the landowner would of been pleased to have someone managing the deer on his land,if he can't do it himself and the crpos are being damaged. Get someone in how is willing to do it. Iam sure ther are a lot of stalkers who would like to have this oppertunity. IMO
Jonathon

Baldrick
If you already have your stalker in mind , give him/her the benefit of doubt , you would have already done your sums prior to your post!seems you want confirmation!If you are the landowner you would have I presume talked to your Farmer neighbours!!! you will not be isolated with the problem!! I dont think for one iota the stalker would rip you off !!! BY Xxxv the local butchers under the counter would. !!Give your stalker the chance to prove himself/herself for a season or two. Because anyone in there right mind would not screw you!!
AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK!
Regards TRAPPER

We're not focused on the money - we're just aware that having taken over the management of this farm in April, that the current deer management arrangement is not wholly transparent. No money changes hands between landowner and stalker, yet he is an accredited witness offering a lot of accompanying stalking and is selling all the carcases. The farm sees no income whatsoever from this, and does not currently have a maintenance plan, nor is it aware of the stalker's cull strategy.

Clearly I need to ask a lot more questions of the stalker and landowner. I am very grateful for the general guidance though, and the PMs.

Simplifying it, it all depends on where the value is in the estate -

1. In crops/trees - don't want any deer.

2. In the deer as recreational/food resource - then you want the optimum population of healthy deer for that estate - which you do by population census etc, selective culling - you won't need me to tell you how.

You can have both but one needs to follow the other.

IMHO - free shooting is where the estate wants the deer gone but is under no real time pressure. Paid for shooting is where the 2nd case above applies.

If the population gets suddenly gets out of hand then you might get one off free stalking to bring it quicky back under control. Free is determined by ROI.

In your case it sounds like the value is in the crops and the owner doesnt mind the stalker earning money from it - after all, it means he's motivated to do the job and it costs the owner nothing.

I'd also suggest the farm sets the cull strategy, not the stalker who does the shooting. If they are earning by the carcass there is a confict of interest there unless the plan is a total cull.

One observation I will make - we've all met people who have gone ballistic when they have had their free stalking taken away from them by a 3rd party, esp when they were not paying for it and the 3rd party is.

It would be a smart move to prepare yourself for a confrontation/conflict with the stalker - and don't be surprised if adverse possession, leased rights, implied rights, armed tresspass, theft of deer, poaching etc raises its head. I doubt they'll give up without a fight (would you?) Make sure you don't have any rifles with you when the time comes to meet (which it surely will, either planned or not) - threats of police action are a great way to exert leverage in a situation.

This sounds suprising, but your biggest issue here could the the owner and any deals, fiscal or not, he has made with the stalker and now does not want to renage on - I bet he hasnt thought about it too deeply, the stalker could pressure him to not stop them - impled conctracts/of employment and all that, and it will all be behind closed doors, you wont be privvy to it.

B. Just re-read your post - what I mean is, the stalker wont take kindly to you now coming in between him and the owner.

Just be ready.

Back