Guantánamo Bay bambi

ben_in_the_woods

Whilst stalking roe in Moray last week a young lad and i spotted this poor old Sika stag who had been a wee bit too greedy in nibbling the contents of this shrub shelter.

Image0016.jpg
The picture above shows the stag shot, but with the shrub shelter in place as it was found walking around the wood. The stag's antlers acted as a barb and the poor thing was left unable to see, hear properly let alone eat & drink. It was extremely fortunate that we came across him as the woodland has not had any deer management for years and i would hate to think the suffering that this deer would have been subject to if left.

We spied the deer from around 200m away and stalked in to within 20m (not the most challenging of stalks even with a cross wind!! The lad shot his first sika (got the photo, without the headgear on).

A fellow forester did suggest to start using apple baited shrub guards in future, but they are a tad expensive.

The condition of the carcass was good, so hopefully the deer only became trapped earlier that day.

Anyone seen this before? it's new to me:eek:

Back