Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pc views

pc views

i want to use a 6.5x55 for deer and target will the police let me use it for foxs.

They may allow you to use it on foxes whilst out deer stalking. I'm sure that the Home Office guidelines state that 6mm can be used on foxes but its how your Chief Constable decides to interpret those guidelines. It might help if you can prove that you only have the one rifle and that you have land permission for foxes. Good luck!

Its an old chestnut that is!! I had my 308 passed for foxing but know of lads who were told no!! I also know that its down to the local office!! If you were only to have 1 rifle then it shouldnt be a problem as long as your permission was up to sratch!!

Good Luck

Constable pc seem to think i would be better off just having a 243.but i realy want the 6.5x55.
    no sure how different the two are or the pros and cons of the 2.
    i don't want to have to rifles (cost etc) but it seems thats ok ,but not ok to have one rifle to do one job.
    how mad is that.

its not like you can over kill some thing

Don't know the bullet size for 6.5 x 55 but if it's very similar in appearance to the 243 try saying that you feel having both could be a safety risk as it would be too easy to select the wrong ammunition (I know someone who used that reasoning for other calibres and it was treated as an acceptable reason for clearing the one rifle for deer and foxes).

thanks chrisB we try that,every bit helps.
    can you see the sence of having two rifle when one will do the job.its got to be safer alll round,will it mean that if im out and see a fox when i've got the 6.5x55,i can't shoot it.? whats the farmer going to say,it want look good i bet,not in his eyes.
    Have one on each shoulder

I am constantly amazed at how the law is applied by FA Officers from county to county. Its becoming a post code lottery, rather like the NH service.

What difference does it make between using a 243 or a 6.5 to shoot a Fox? My ticket allows me to use all my rifles from .22 up to 375. It is ridiculous to think that while a person is out they have to make sure they have the right rifle should a Fox poke its head up, I very much sympathise with people like Tolley.

I always advise people to add to their application where it states where you are intending on using the weapon, "Where I am by payment or invatation".

Of late I have heard of a number of people having problems with trying to upgrade their calibre/choice of weapon on renewal, and having brick walls put in their way, even some with open licences. Looks like the Home Office is sending out new guidelines again that we know nothing about?

news to me.

If there are new guidelines, I am unaware of them.

Tolley, is this your first licence application? I have a 6.5x55 and a 243 and wanted a 308. With some wrangling I got it, how? I told the officer that although I know that the other rifles will do the job, I wanted a long range rifle for Scottish Sika and Reds and that the deer's welfare was my main reason for the request. I also need a larger calibre for my range shooting (out to 1000 metres).
    Don't decieve the police, just state your case well and be prepared to haggle.
    Good Luck.

many thanks for the replys ,matters like this you get the feeling your on your own.
    armed with all this infor i will be asking the police for a interview today
    wish me luck,i will let you know the out come.