.22 hornet

matt .243

hi folks, just bought a ruger 77 .22 hornet, so far really like it. anyone else using a 22 hornet and how do you like it?
any tips for a newbie to this caliber?
matt

CZ 527 Hornet here, love it to bits.
Hornady 35 grain V-max over 11 grains of H110 does the business for me.

Neil. :)

What he said :thumb:

Only difference is I prefer Lilgun.

But the 35grain v-max really are the bees knees.

Regards,

Ads

take it you all home load your ammo then?
was gonna get into this, but not got round to it, any factory ammo you suggest?

You should never shoot factory ammo in a Hornet. Bad for your bank account! I did some testing on Winchester Supreme 34 grain and it shot OK, but nothing like handloads. Start reloading and REALLY enjoy your Hornet.~Muir

Very pleased with my CZ 527, don't think i'll ever part with it, i'm only a beginner but 35 g V-max with 13 g of lilgun works for me !! :D Iv'e heard that the Ruger loves the Hornadys 50 g SPSX, there's a good clip on you tube about it ! "22 Hornet and Fox shoot"

A good friend has two 22 Hornet's and two 222's. All 4 rifles shoot best with RWS Jagdmatch ammo. This for foxes, magpies, crows, ......

I tried Remington 35 grain accu tips when I first got my hornet, pretty good, and if I wasn't going to load for it I would have carried on with them.

Neil.

very underrated caliber, is my most used carry rifle , along with another :) 40gr s/p & 9gr vit 110/120. super accurate 100yds +

thats what i heard very under rated caliber, thought would give it a whirl, thought it be ideal round the farm, close range and got the umph for longer charlie's

virtually every gamekeeper in the country will tell you if they had a choice of one rifle only, it would be the hornet ! Some achievement isn't it !?

Have had a krico hornet for a lot of years grand little tool seen rabbits shot at ridiculas distances mine must have accounted for hundreds of vermin including one fox I shall never forget he was over 300 paces across a ploughed field so my mate said he went for him the following morning.Enjoy

Great wee rifle:thumb:. The one i have belonged to my grandfather,and i`m in my mid fifties.It is a BRNO and its No is under 1800 so it must be a fair age.First stag i ever seen shot was with this rifle ,just behind the ear.Yeah i know illegal etc!!
Still clover leafs at 100m;)

.First stag i ever seen shot was with this rifle ,just behind the ear.Yeah i know illegal etc!!
Still clover leafs at 100m;)

But was it then ?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the hornet used to be used on roe deer as a regular thing in the dim past, both here and abroad.

But was it then ?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the hornet used to be used on roe deer as a regular thing in the dim past, both here and abroad.

I think it is still used in some European countries, I shot a lot of feral goats with one with Sako factory ammo it killed them rather well
but the American ammo was not much good to soft a bullet varmints only, wish I could get the bullets that Sako used but Sako ammo and components
are not available in NZ
Robert.

wish I could get the bullets that Sako used but Sako ammo and components
are not available in NZ
Robert.

I have had a little play with the 40 and 45 grain Speer hornet soft points, very thin copper and expand well.
But I notice they also do the same weight bullets for other center fires with thicker jackets, any good ?

Hummel,if you are:old:like me it was not unusual for hornet to be used my first roe was with one" back o"the heed" boy still remember those words.Even more reacently I remember a keeper in Argile telling me his morning rounds were done and he always took the hornet "laddie itall do rabbits to sika":stag: reet behind the ear.

I have a Ruger M77 in .22 Hornet also.The wood and blue finish is great for a rifle in this price bracket and being a Ruger the build quality is very good. I did have to get a trigger job done on it as it Ruger factory trigger settings are famously heavy.

It's a great fox stopper with factory Hornady v-max 35 grain which the tables say clocks 3100fps and 729 ft/lbs. Most of my shots are around 100 yards so I'm not sure of the effective max range on foxes using this ammo, anyone else know?...Muir?. As Muir say's, factory ammo is expensive,I should get into reloading.
I have no problem getting 1" groups at 100 with it and the T4 mod fitted is ideal in terms of proportion and noise reduction.
Did I mention I love this rifle :).

fraser

Last edited:
The Lil Gun load of 13 grains duplicates the Hornady load at a fraction of the cost. Cost comparisons aren't exactly on a level ground (US vs UK) but using the Midway Dogtown 34 grain HP (an excellent bullet @ $9US/100), a Federal Small Pistol Primer ($28/1000) and 13.5 grains of Lil Gun ($18/lb) my Hornet loads cost about twelve-cents each. Seventeen HMR runs $11/50 US a box. Guess which one I spend my money on?

I don't shoot fox (tho we have them aplenty) but I can't imagine it wouldn't drop a fox at 150 yards. It will kill prairiedogs cleanly at 200+. I would certainkly shoot a 40 pound coyote at that range. Just an FYI, the Hornet is legal for deer in Montana. I have often had mule deer wander at the edge of my prairiedog town and wondered...~Muir

Back