Schultz & Larsen

Ovenpaa

My wife being a Dane has often mentioned Schultz & Larsen rifles, I have a feeling they long since stopped being made in Denmark but I could be very wrong here. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about them? I do remember them making very good target shooting barrels a few years ago but other than that I have no idea.

A couple of calls this morning confirmed the ML97-DL Sporter is in stock in the UK. They can also supply it with a 19mm barrel as standard which is handy. Problem now is given that wife will shoot it as well what is the better option, 6.5X47 Lap or 6.5X55SE? It will be used for "Out of Season" type competitions in Denmark and I can use either cartridge, recoil is going to be less with the X47 however she is quite capable of shooting either and it will be quite a heavy rifle. Accuracy wise a X55 may be marginally down. From an ethical viewpoint the X55 is the proper choice but I will be up against people shooting 6BR so that counts for very little....

So, is anyone's wife shooting either cartridge, if so what do they prefer?

A couple of calls this morning confirmed the ML97-DL Sporter is in stock in the UK. They can also supply it with a 19mm barrel as standard which is handy. Problem now is given that wife will shoot it as well what is the better option, 6.5X47 Lap or 6.5X55SE? It will be used for "Out of Season" type competitions in Denmark and I can use either cartridge, recoil is going to be less with the X47 however she is quite capable of shooting either and it will be quite a heavy rifle. Accuracy wise a X55 may be marginally down. From an ethical viewpoint the X55 is the proper choice but I will be up against people shooting 6BR so that counts for very little....

So, is anyone's wife shooting either cartridge, if so what do they prefer?

If my wife shot more than a 20 gauge, I wouldn't dare behave the way I do sometimes:scared:

The only time I saw her pull a face (Well technically she yelped and swore quite a lot) was shooting 7,62X54R armour piercing heavy ball wearing a T shirt, fair to say I did not enjoy it either. She knows her limits but I am determined to get her behind a .338 Lap one day.

Not a problem buy which ever then buy the barrel in the other calibre,
M97-DL is a switch barrel system only 2x 5mm bolts hold the barrel in.
Go on the web site click products then barrels all the options are there.
Mine shoots well with anything I have put through it, but the 6.5x47 is
known for being inherently accurate.
This is mine in 6.5x55
DSC05201.jpgDSC05203.jpgDSC01210.jpg

Not a problem buy which ever then buy the barrel in the other calibre,
M97-DL is a switch barrel system only 2x 5mm bolts hold the barrel in.
Go on the web site click products then barrels all the options are there.
Mine shoots well with anything I have put through it, but the 6.5x47 is
known for being inherently accurate.
This is mine in 6.5x55
View attachment 6097View attachment 6098View attachment 6099

Is that built on a Mauser 98 action? Beautiful rifle, makes me proud of my countrymen;)

Ps. Ovenpaa, I assume your office is upstairs and that's how you came up with your username,,as it means exactly that in Danish?

It has a three lug bolt very similar to a Barnard action,so it has a short 60degree bolt lift.
Also the bolt locks into the barrel so the action has no pressure acting on it.
Very smooth action and good trigger as standard more than pleased I bought it,
just need to find the cash now to by the 308win barrel I have a space for on my ticket.
DSC05348.jpg

Schultz and Larsen bolt at the side of a K98 bolt for comparison.

It does look very similar to a Barnard and I must admit I prefer the shorter throw three lug bolts as well.

My concern over switching from X55 to X47 is action length as I am not sure if a X47 would feed particularly well from a X55 Magazine.

PKL - The name Ovenpaa comes from many years ago when the Viking first moved in, I was trying to learn Danish and she being fluent in English had no reason to teach me any more than the basics. Ovenpaa (pronounced more like 'Owenpo' ) means upstairs or on top. The Danes are far too acomadating to us Brits and will speak English (Usually very well) whenever they have the chance so my Danish is very poor.

Dave 67 - That is a good looking rifle, is there anything you would change/improve on it given the chance?

Get to use it more!
No to be honest can't think of anything I would change.
These people are the current UK importers as far as I know.
This guy was the UK importer when I bought mine but
he has since retired, was also the Apel mount importer.
Don't know if you can get hold of him but I know for a fact
he has or had a Schultz & Larsen in 6.5x47.
He would definitely tell you the pro cons.

The current importer is actually Sentry Trading and they are also stocking the Apel mounts as well. I have spoken to them today along with York Guns and a couple of others and they all quote the same price (I had to ask!) So all i have to do is make a decision with the wife on the chamber and off we go. Part of me says get the 6.5X47 Lapua but deep down I know the 6.5X55 is the only real choice.

I need to find a scope as well, I have a nice 10X KAPS with stunning glass but I would prefer something either variable or lower magnification. It will need to be European as well.

........ It will need to be European as well.

Muir is cringing........ha ha ha .....

Muir,,,just get used to it, European cars, guns, optics, women, etc just ARE better....LOL...just joking, please don't shoot me...LOL..the jokes keep on going....(you're a good guy, I'm just having a laugh which I'm sure you know...).

My bad! you are right it is sentry trading, what threw me was I talked to the guy from Sentry at last years Newark show, he was sharing the stand with Red deer and he gave me their business
card for if I wanted to order a 308win barrel.
Sorry for the miss information.

I get the impression Sentry and Red Deer work very closely together. Dave, do the S&L type rings come with any inclination in them for the 'scope. I am used to 20-28MOA one piece ring sets. How do S&L deal with this?

Not sure to be honest.
The top of the action is drilled and tapped so I assume you could fit a 20MOA picatinny rail to it.

Got to get the 6,5x55! The Schultz and Larsen has a small but loyal following here in Norway. The importers Jakt og Friluft AS often have used stock at reasonable(by Norwegian standards)prices. One of the top shooting journalists in Norway, Jørund Lien has a mod 97 in 30-06 and cant sing its praises enough. The barrels are also highly regarded as mentioned earlier in the thread.

The plan is to order a 6,5x55 tomorrow! :D

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Next move is to decide on a suitable bullet and load for the rifle, it will mostly be used for competitions so target bullets will be fine. My preference is usually Lapua however I also have the choice of SMK and Berger with the 6.5 I am also tempted to Moly coat them.[/FONT]

How much is the Sporter in NO? I have had no luck getting replies from Korsholm in DK on prices (I was curious as we head into DK quite often) Also S&L just do not reply to emails so I am still not sure what twist the barrel is, my guess is 1:8 but you never know....

Last edited:
Ah well that was easy enough, down side is delivery is going to take a while as I, erm... we have gone for the M97-DL Sporter and the 19mm barrel for the 6,5x55 is on extended delivery. I am sure it will be worth the wait. I need to find a scope now so I can confirm the size/height of rings needed.

Back