Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holidays 2011

Holidays 2011

I know most 'normal people' are booking family holidays to the seaside at this time of year etc but what is going on behind the scenes !!
    Now that the Driven Boar season is over, I know, I know, you lucky chaps that go after trohies can go all year round but I am talking 'rank and file' folk like myself!
    How many of you have booked already or are still looking at Web Sites or pamphlets.
    How has the drop in value of the pound or the strength of the Euro affected your planning or are you going to ask the wife to get another job to help pay for it !!
    They are all certain to cost more this year so start saving chaps.

We are flying out to Portugal tomorrow and im not sure why, the weather forcast is s**t and the exchange rate for euro's is equally s**t

We`re going to Ourgate this year.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

We've just booked a place in Devon for a couple of weeks in the summer.....managed to sneak in a morning stalk for a roe buck last year when we were down there, may have to see if I can do the same again this year.....
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Join the wonderful world of swap stalking - Gadget and I are going back to Sweden in September to hunt boar and forest Reds, then to Wexford for the Sika rut. Our various hosts are coming over here in July for the Roe rut with us in northeast Scotland, Muntjac down south and probably coming back again for Woodcock at the back end of the year. Cheap flights, borrowed rifles and staying / hosting in each other's homes makes this kind of travel shooting affordable, plus you're not constantly fretting about trophy fees if you shoot the wrong thing! I certainly couldn't do these kinds of trips on a fully paid basis...

The planned trip that WILL be affecting my wallet in to New Zealand in May 2012 - even with free or very cheap hunting, the flights are still eye-wateringly expensive and ordinary day to day expenses add up when you are away from home for a month.

Of to spain for a week next month because the wife said we are going and hope to go to Canada is september for a couple of weeks visiting long lost relatives ,then a few days back in Croatia in November if i can sell a kidney or a slightly smoked lung to any one!!!
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Reiver, who are you going to Croatia with ?
    I have booked a December trip but am looking for another for November and have been told there is room with a bunch going with Basswood in November.
    I am going to sunny Bournemouth for Easter and a few days extra.
    As it is only me, the wife and the dog, I have booked a Family room so we can have a bed each
    4* hotel full board, so no washing up indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi and Sauna papers by the door first thing in the morning. I wonder if anybody will complain about the dog in the swimming pool this time
    No early mornings, just a leisurely stroll with the dog and back for breakfast
    I offered to shoot some of the squirrels for them the last time we stayed but they were horrified, apparently that is part of the attraction of Bournemouth
    There are some nice shops there, so I am told but thankfully they will be closed for part of the time we are down there
    It is a pity Easter has come so late this year as it really impinges on the Fallow season doesn't it

I am planing to go with frank again !
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Can't wait for pigs this year but I've still to tell her I'm going....

It will be a slipped into a one way conversation where she's pretending to listen that the woman folk are generally good at when we talk about hunting and they go yes.... aha... yeh whatever to. I did it last year and paid the deposit right after the conversation. Then she twigged but it all ready half paid... success

The pig shooting world is a small one isn't it. Frank seems to be a bit of a character, I saw him in a youtube vid.
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 16-04-2011 at 19:20.

not long now ,i fly off to new zealand on thursday for thar chamois boar reds and goat . chance of a lifetime for me and plan to savour every moment ontop of those mountains i will be on . probably going to bore everyone one here to death with my posts when i get back ,atb wayne