Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarreling options for T3 in 6.5x55

Rebarreling options for T3 in 6.5x55

I have the 6.5 for about 4 years now and I'm very happy with it. Lite stainless version.

I wouldn't mind having something a bit more flexible especially if I was to do a bit of traveling - so 30-06 seems like a versatile option.
    Is it possible?
    Can I use the same mags?
    Apart from the barrel what other work on it would be required?
    What would be the cost roughly?

Current re-barrel prices are in the region of 600. You would need a new magazine circa 50. If your rifle still shoots I wouldn't bother, you can pick up a great second hand 30-06 for that price.

I was thinking of going that route but I'd say another T3 lite would cost €900 minimum here in Ireland.
    I don't want second hand - I'd never be comfortable with it.
    I could put the saving towards a new stock. Now I know I could sell the 6.5 but it could be on the shelf a long time before selling - been there before.

I have done a bit of reading and I'm mainly looking for confirmation on the mags and is the job possible -
    From what I can gather the mags are the same for 6.5x55 and 30-06 - as is the action size but would the bolt need work for example?
    Sako Tikka Replacement Magazines for example are selling the same mag for both - are they definitely wrong would you say?

It is certainly possible. I was quoted 800 last week to put a new barrel on a Sako, get it threaded proofed etc. This is by a guy whose work I know will be 100%.

I really don't think it is worth rebarreling it. Trade it in for a 30/06 if that is what you want.

A 6.5x55 can be made a lot more flexible if you hand load for it, load 120gr BT's at over 3000fps for 270 performance, big old 156gr or 160gr bullets will penetrate nearly anything. I would think the bext option for a 6.5 in Ireland is 129gr Hornady's or 130gr Accubond's.

I would agree though, if you plan to hunt abroad, a 30/06 is the answer.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

You might have bolt face issues going from 6.5 to 30-06 on a rebarrel.

Pretty sure 6.5 bolt face is not standard like .308 or 30-06 for example, might be worth checking.

IMO you should do it. You would end up with a semi custom rifle in a calibre you want. It might not be much cheaper than a new T3, but you'd end up with one hell of shooter (not that new T3s aren't) with a very high grade barrel. Action length is the same, and although 6.5x55 heads are slightly (7 thou') bigger than 30-06 heads bolt faces are almost always the same - that 7 thou is taken up as slack. I read around it a lot and almost all manufacturers use the same bolt face. The extractor may or may not need changing though - not a big deal.

Couldn't tell you about the mag - you'd have to speak to Tikka or get someone with a 30-06, 270 or any 06 based cartridge (or any *x62,*x63,*x64) to measure their T3 magazine.

If I had a rifle I liked in a calibre I didn't I'd get it rebarreled before trying to trade it in.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

You'll loose a few hundred changing a 6.5 for a new 30-06 especially since the 6.5 isn't that popular
    anymore in Ireland. That loss might be half of what a custom barrel would cost.
    Talk to Fergal White in Athlone who just recently rebarrelled a T3 with a true flight barrel.
    I have one custom match barrel on a rifle and can only recomend the step.

Lancs / Cumbria Border
    There are no real world problems with rebarrelling a 6,5x55 bolt face to the .473" bolt faced family - the slightly larger case head of the "55" is no issue as nost rifles with .473" bf have tolerances that would accept the larger "55" case head.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    There are no real world problems with rebarrelling a 6,5x55 bolt face to the .473" bolt faced family - the slightly larger case head of the "55" is no issue as nost rifles with .473" bf have tolerances that would accept the larger "55" case head.
    This is what I like about SD, always someone in the know to put you right.

Nice one RD!