Sound Moderator

Foxx

Hi All,

Im looking to get my Sako.75 fitted with a sound moderator. Can anyone let me know the best place at the best price.

Cheers in advance,

Foxx

A reputable gunsmith, definitely. Improperly fitted moderators can cause all sorts of difficult-to-diagnose problems with accuracy. Muzzle cans (ie. not over -barrel) like the Jet-Z or the ASE Utra S5 avoid a number of these problems but they still need to be fitted by a good gunsmith.

If he is convenient to you, Steve Kershaw does very good work, he is up near Hull I think.

Chop, thread and recrown job is about £125.

Think very seriously about a lightweight muzzle can, Roedale is excellent (230 grammes), ASE also have a new light can, can't remember the name, but it weighs in around 250 grammes.

I've recently had the Spartan fitted by Swillington Shooting Supplies to my Tikka, excellant piece of kit with great service.
Smig

If he is convenient to you, Steve Kershaw does very good work, he is up near Hull I think.

Chop, thread and recrown job is about £125.

Think very seriously about a lightweight muzzle can, Roedale is excellent (230 grammes), ASE also have a new light can, can't remember the name, but it weighs in around 250 grammes.

You sure you don't mean ATEC rather than ASE?
Aluminum CMM4 250gr.

Nice little thing which doesn mess with balance - not going to last as long as a Northstar or moderate as effectively but it works.

To the OP; where in the country are you?

Remember that you don't have to have this thing re-proofed after it's been cut and threaded - £125 seems heavy to me. Someone at the rifle club had one done recently for sub £50.

Last edited:
You sure you don't mean ATEC rather than ASE?
Aluminum CMM4 250gr.

If we are going to talk about moderator weights here are some taken from the manufacturers sites;

Roedale IV @ 175g (if you fit two stainless baffles instead of two aluminium ones it weighs 225g)
Roedale V @ 200g
A-TEC CMM4 @ 220g
A-TEC CMM6 @ 475g
ASE-Northstar @ 630g
ASE-S5 @ 590g
ASE-Jet-Z @ 560g
Tuote-T8 @ 640g (reflex over-barrel)
Third Eye Sparton @ 440g (reflex over-barrel)

Simon

I have Roedale Delta, CMM4 and a Sparton. The Sparton is 223 dedicated and engineered superbly but i prefer the others for weight and just as quiet given the calibres.

Cheers
Redneck

A reputable gunsmith, definitely. Improperly fitted moderators can cause all sorts of difficult-to-diagnose problems with accuracy. Muzzle cans (ie. not over -barrel) like the Jet-Z or the ASE Utra S5 avoid a number of these problems but they still need to be fitted by a good gunsmith.
why do muzzle mounted moderator (as opposed to over barrel) prove less troublesome?
presumably 90% of the issues are with non concentric and off centre threading and poor recrowning?

EMcC knows a few near him that charge less than £90
He doesn't approve of my choice... :) :stir: (just pulling your leg mate!)

Just a word of warning. I have a CMM4 and on one rifle it throws 14" left and high ! If i put on my Ase S5 it is dead on 1" high.
But is fine on my other rifles .

If it was my only mod i would be pulling my hair out. And before i put the ASE on i was.

Back