Wayne 'Ninja' Davies.

243varmint

Well what can I say about the generosity of this man.
As been said in other posts we were invited to Waynes for a BBQ and a 'bit' of muntie shooting. When myself, Adamant,Gadget and Richard Gun arrived Roedinater(Pete) was busy on the BBQ readying for the crowd to tuck in. Cheers Pete.

So a quick briefing of the planned evening ahead and off it was in the trucks to be dropped off at our respective high seats.

Myself and Flytie (Simon) jumped into Waynes motor for the sort drive down to the next field. Simon was shown to his high seat while I waited for Wayne to come back. Then I was told where my high seat was and off I set towards it up through the wood on a well used track. The amount of sign along this track got the mind racing.

Got up to the high seat and let the wood settle. I was looking out onto a cleared area some 65mx65m. The larger trees had been left so the wood floor covering was just below knee height with lush green cover from the recent bit of rain (well sort of downpoor).

I had infront of me a track( quad bike width ) zig zagging up the steep bank where it looked like it headed to the left through the wood.

Quite early on I heard the crack of a rifle to my left. Somebody had seen something and this does tend to get the concentration kick started again.

About 8.00 I saw a movemnet in the undergrowth slightly to the right of centre above the quad bike track. 2 white tips is all I saw until he popped his head out. He made his way towards the left and stopped right in front of me, with a bloody great tree covering everything from his ears to his haunches.:doh:So still keeping him in the scope he made his way a bit further and he was out of sight into the cover. B******s i thought.

A couple of minutes later a movement caught my eye in the direction he was heading, he was now coming into veiw in front of a holly bush but still no clear shot. He was making his way right to left and paused long enough and showing enough of himself to take a shot. The 30-06 cracked and a reassuring thud came back.

To my supprise I then heard him crash through the undergrowth for some 40m quartering downhill from the shot sight. Right, phone out, text Wayne: I think I need Max! Text came back: on my way.

Wayne made his way and I met him on the track, we headed straight to the shot sight and found alot of blood and a trail that was visable that he had made on his last dash. Max was sent off to do his job and was straight on the scent and found the buck stone dead.
The shot placement was good( a little low but the heart was smashed ) And had exited slightly back and had 'pulled' the intestines out through the exit.

This next comment will stick in my mind forever.

Wayne rolled the buck over and said 'thats a good buck..............it's bigger than the f*****r Iv'e got on my wall!!!!!!.

Now the buck fever kicked in!!!!

Wayne sorted him out and we put him in one of Poppins' yule roe sacks.
Back to the motor to wait for Simon.
Photo's taken and hanshakes exchanged. Then it was off to meet the rest of the group.

Once again Wayne and Andy. You two guys are very generous and know how to look after your guests. You are a credit to the stalking community:tiphat:

It was also great to might up with the other guys and put faces to names.

Cheers

Jonathon

PS
I will let Wayne put the photos up of the ones taken on the evening because he has the ones with Max on.;) Then I will put a few more up that I took today.

Last edited:
Jonathon, it was great to put a face to a name with a few excellent folks from the SD site, and has been said the extrordinary kindness of Wayne & Andy is fast becoming legendary (across europe). Derservedly so!

You do realise if I had not shot at that fox, the muntjac would never have come your way ;) That's my story anyway :lol:

A really good night!

Simon

Hi Jon
Nice write up mate but I'm sure I didnt swear not me :oops::lol:
Glad your happy with your buck mate not a bad one for your first, might take you a while to better that one.

I'll put up the photo with Max but it didnt come out that great getting a bit dark.

Atb

Wayne

P4250106.jpg

Cheers guys.
Simon I think he was heading over your way but for some reason he walked into a 150gr bullet! :eek:

I have taken some more photo's in daylight.

Newstuff-April11103.jpg

Newstuff-April11111.jpg

Newstuff-April11106.jpg

Newstuff-April11107.jpg

Newstuff-April11109.jpg

Once again Wayne. Thank you :tiphat:

Cheers guys.
Simon I think he was heading over your way but for some reason he walked into a 150gr bullet! :eek:

I have taken some more photo's in daylight.

Newstuff-April11103.jpg

Newstuff-April11111.jpg

Newstuff-April11106.jpg

Newstuff-April11107.jpg

Newstuff-April11109.jpg

Once again Wayne. Thank you :tiphat:

wow nice buck im sure your pleased with that ! :cool:

That's a cracking buck, looking at the head the only weakness I can see is the different in size between the two tines but I'd be very surprised if that doesn't get a good gold. You jammy g*t. Sounds like a cracking event for those lucky enough to be invited.

Cracking looking buck mate I would say thats an easy gold,been after one of similar proportion on our ground but up until now he has not presented himself well enough for a mount.

Congratulations Jonathon, that will make a gold medal I am sure. Well done Wayne, credit to stalking and to the membership of this site.

Wayne told us he had done his best for you John, but you just wandered off :stir: Shame really ;)

Simon

Now Now Simon

But you know us Hereford boys we like a bit of rough John :D

Just boiled him out and will be over to Wayne's after the weekend for him to cast his eye over it.

Thanks for all the comments but i think with the amount of sign everywhere he could of fallen to anyone's gun.....................well if you don't go walk about ( sorry John couldn't resist either:stir:)

Jon

Crikey! That's a lovely looking buck Jono, really hope that goes gold mate. Very well done, spot on.
2thumbs.gif

And a big
thumbsup.gif
to Wayne for making it happen.

Cheers
Chris

Chhers guys.

Have cleaned off the head today, I thought skinning a Muntie was hard work. The head was a nightmare. Have left him 'whole' for the moment. Pic quality might not be too good as it's from my phone.

muntie2051.jpg

Jon

Back