3 nostrils!!!!!

mj robson

A client shot this buck last night and on closer inspection I noticed a puncture wound to it's nose.

Image0104 by mj robson, on Flickr

Image0106 by mj robson, on Flickr

It was an old cull buck with decent body weight.

Image0107 by mj robson, on Flickr

What do you think caused it? I'm guessing one of three things, 1. nasal abscess 2. puncture wound as a younger buck 3. .22 bullet!!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited:
Nice head Mark. I would say puncture wound, but it is just guessing.
You always find some curious abnormalities. Any freak heads from this season?

ATB

Greg

The bone is too regular for an abscess, the surface would be much rougher if infection had caused it.

Some kid of trauma is most likely, I'd suspect a .22 bullet to exit the other side.

Most likely and injury - possibly from fighting?

Interesting!
I'd guess at a .22 bullet which would have healed over elsewhere, but may well have remained open with the susequent airflow passing through it as the animal breathed. I would imagine its sense of smell would be reduced with less air passing through the end of its nose?:confused:
Great pictures!
Cheers,
MS:)

My guesses:
Healed abscess subsequent to nasal bot infection last year or snorting cocaine.

It's a strange one, and seems to have divided opinion.

I have had the benifit of holding the head and the hole looks pretty well healed, almost like it's ment to be there.
The edges of the bone are well contoured and smooth, at the bottom the bone curves in and joins straight onto the internal nose bones without any edge at all.
It's only the side near the eye that has any rough edge.

This leads me to think that it isn't a puncture wound of any sort.

I'm guessing an abscess but it's just a guess, I'm no expert and have never seen it before.

Cheers,
Mark.

I dont know how you find them, each year a couple of medals and freak heads to die for!
I hope you have great rest of the season.

All the best,
Greg

What do you think it will finnish at and will they mark it down as an eight or will the lower point be put down as pearling

Hi Dave,

It started off at 595g and is an older beast so shouldn't dry out much more, it's been well baked. There are 8 definate points plus a large piece of flattened pearling in the middle of the right beam, the bottom point is 20mm long, the one at the top is smallest at about 10mm. It has a tiny pot hole from frost damage in the middle of the right beam that has cause the deform, you can see it best on the very top pic.

Cheers,
Mark.

a FABULOUS SILVER THEN MARK AND I WAS LOOKING AT THE FLATENNED PEARLING. Well done on a speacial trophy

I have a pet deer in my zoo.Few months ago when my deer suffered from a skin disease then i brought the doctor from another state where i bought this .Now i want to hire a trainer and a doctor from the same state ALASKA.
Need your kind help.
puppy training

Last edited:
A client shot this buck last night and on closer inspection I noticed a puncture wound to it's nose.

Image0104 by mj robson, on Flickr

Image0106 by mj robson, on Flickr

It was an old cull buck with decent body weight.

Image0107 by mj robson, on Flickr

What do you think caused it? I'm guessing one of three things, 1. nasal abscess 2. puncture wound as a younger buck 3. .22 bullet!!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Just seen this and reminded me of a buck a mate shot, he hadn't noticed anything unusual until he looked at the head and saw it had been already shot through the nose recently and my guess a full bore not a .22, as when the head was skinned the nose was pretty smashed up, i don't think this would have survived if my mate hadn't shot it
Where my mate shot him was quite close to the road and suspect somebody had done a drive by and tried a head shot on the lamp and probably thought they had missedDSC00039.jpgDSC00038.jpgand as fresh as the wound was probably the night before.

Moose

Back