.243 100grain ammo

johndownes

Hi guys can anybody recomend a good quality 100grain .243 factory ammo, I bought some remmington 100grain sperlock tried them today and they didnt group very well at all, the rifle is a browning a bolt thats only had about 50 rounds through it. I appreciate that all rifles are different and what might shoot we in one wont in another

+1 for rws my rifle also likes winchester , geco 105 grn , but if you can get them try privvi ... cheap as chips but very good in some rifles .

priv suits my a-bolt at the moment but i am a relative newbie and will be looking to improve my own performance and perhaps change the loads once i am sure it isnt my error..

atb

I use prvi in my 243 and my 308 both group within 1 inch @100 yards.

ASK YOUR SELF ONE QUESTION IS THAT ACCURATE ENOUGH TO KILL A DEER ? ME THINKS YES.:D

dont worry about too much(ive been there:doh:, not now though) zero it and aslong its within a inch to inch half off sand bags, front and back etc leave it alone.

then practise shooting off sticks @ 100/150 ish yards (not bipod) at a 4/5 inch circle as long as you can hit that. THE DEER WOULD BE DEAD :D.

unless your target shooting, the most important part is practicing in field conditions (off sticks etc) cus how many times in the field will the deer hang about for you to get your bipod/sandbags/and all the other load of crap they sell now out ??????

hope that helps

ATB
Dave

Thanks guys, think I might try some federal in it. Dave I know what you mean I think its just me being a bit cautios it was grouping about 2 inches at 100 yards using my by pod, i used 80grain remington in it and a 3 shot group all the holes in the paper where nearly touching around half inch grouping.

as prvi goes in my .243 I found the 90s marginally better than the 100s for what its worth. (they were all in the previously mentioned Dead zone though)

Dont waste time and cash , use the 80 gr !

Some .243 just don't like 100gr. Why do you feel the need for the extra 20 gr ?

I was having the same problem and tried a few different types of rounds. After some advice here I tried some Norma 100 Grain SP and they were great. I can now get less than 1" all the time and sometimes achieve 1/2" groups. The only bad thing about it is the price of the ammo, it just so happens that they were the most expensive of all the ones I tried, just typical.
Norma 100 SP.jpeg

I was wondering that... shortest barrel? shortest bullet? shortest c.o.a.l?

Nice shooting btw blunderbust, I can't get mine to group like that with Norma 100grns (2" at best) Drop down to 90grn and the groups close up a bit.
I don't use a moderator so it kicks like a mule, I don't think that helps the much.

To the original poster.... don't worry about .5moa groups, when you're stalking only the first shot counts.
For me 2" groups off sticks is better tha .5" off a bench.

My Winchester Coyote with 24" Barrel shoots Federal 100gr SP's nicely. Privi's in 100gr SP and the group is a little over an inch.

winnygroup.jpg

As to group size, unless it is target shooting an inch or so group is fine for Deer, what tighter groups give me is more confidence in the rifle and ammo, that's worth a lot, to me anyway.

Last edited:
Back