Big bores on UK ranges?

Joshua

I and a friend are planning a trip abroad in the next coming years so I'm planning on getting a rifle that's chambered in a classic African caliber - it's my holy grail to have a big bore double:). I'm looking at something either a .416 or .470, so it's very, very doubtful I'd get it for UK quarry. I'd ideally like to be able to use the rifle in UK for practice and load development, so I was wondering if any ranges accomodate such calibers? I've been to a few ranges before and I've spotted people shooting the big bore BP cartidges in Sharps rifles and such, but a nitro would obviously produce for ft/lbs of enery than any black power weapon.

Thanks guys.
Josh:)

Lincoln and District rifle and pistol club, cleared for 50 cal.

Membership renewals due now.
Just Google it.

Regards

Jim.

The Kynamco range at Mildenhall in Suffolk is cleared for all calibres up to .700 Nitro Express. (Possibly up to 20mm cannon as well). So more than suitable for your little plinking calibres:D

Joshua,

There is a private 100yd range much nearer to you with an MOD Certificate cleared for 5160ft/lbs ME. This encompasses the 416 Rigby, and similar sporting calibres.

.50 BMG doesn't have any application outside Afghanistan, so is officially frowned on ..... but there's also one clown who asks .

PM me if you're serious.

Epperstone Range in notts, has a 100m range that is cleared for all calibers, and a gallery range back to 500m. However the max on the gallery range is 5160ft/lbs.
If you would like to use the 100m range just let me know, or come and see us on the open day.
All the best trev.

so it's very, very doubtful I'd get it for UK quarry

You'd be surprised, but it depends where you live. I couldn't get expanding ammo organised in bulgaria for a .375 h&h last year but luckily borrowed some out there because I was only allowed solids for zeroing here in the UK. On return I explained the problems to my flo and how developing and testing expanding ammo for talking abroad was the only way to ensure load consistency and availability when there. Arriving somewhere without any ammo available would be a disaster. I would have been happy with just being allowed to test expanding ammo on suitable land but they opened it up for uk quarry. So it's not impossible.

Joshua,

.50 BMG doesn't have any application outside Afghanistan, so is officially frowned on ..... but there's also one clown who asks .

PM me if you're serious.

Wrong information the .50 is use just about every weekend on British ranges the are on this site ,member that own and shoot a .50

Calton Moor Range definately has all the criteria you need.Trevor Proctor was there testing one of his big game rifles on my last visit

Bisley/NRA HME rifles

Contrary to popular belief, you can shoot most things at the British Sporting Club and indeed over most of NRA Bisley.

Certain calibres such as .338 and .50 Browning are specifically banned at Bisley! Download the pdf of Range Regulations from the NRA web site. Enter 'regulations' in the search area.

However, there is now no specific caliber restriction. Maximum velocity is still 3,280 f/s which accomodates all of the traditional African rifles. Above 4,500 J (3.319 ft lbs) and up to 7,000 J (5,160 ft lbs) the rifle is classed as a High Muzzle Energy rifle and is subject to special zero conditions. By special dispensation, they can be fired after undergoing a simple bore sight process. .416 Rigby in 400 gr loadings sneaks neatly under this. .470 should also be just under the limit, but you need to check your loading carefully. If you are the owner and FAC holder, this has to be witnessed by another competent person, in practice a Range Officer or a FAC holder with a Certificate of Competence. If you want to shoot at a weekend day, I suggest you contact the BSRC. At weekends the place is pretty busy and it may not be possible to accommodate special requests. An easier option may be to take a private day or half day, assuming you are a member or affiliated. For help with zeroing proceedure, contact me here.

Last edited:
Hi Chris
Hope the season has started well for you, look forward to seeing you and the boys soon.

Kindest

Paul.

I and a friend are planning a trip abroad in the next coming years so I'm planning on getting a rifle that's chambered in a classic African caliber - it's my holy grail to have a big bore double:). I'm looking at something either a .416 or .470, so it's very, very doubtful I'd get it for UK quarry. I'd ideally like to be able to use the rifle in UK for practice and load development, so I was wondering if any ranges accomodate such calibers? I've been to a few ranges before and I've spotted people shooting the big bore BP cartidges in Sharps rifles and such, but a nitro would obviously produce for ft/lbs of enery than any black power weapon.

Thanks guys.
Josh:)

Hi joshua
the range we have here is passed at 10,000jools and 4000fps . we can acomerdate all of the big game calibers . shooting is under cover , so no mater wot the wether is doing you can zero in comfort . we have a full loading bench sett up for on site load development , and cronograph so you can cheak your volosity . we have loo's and brewing tackel just to make it home from home . we are based out side ashbourne derbyshire so not far from you ring for a time slot , 01538 308697 , 07721 671746 . over the last 2 weeks we have had in ,.416 , .458 lott ,.470nitro exp , and a .50 bmg
www.caltonmoorrange.com

all the best

mike

Back