How long is a stalk?

mel

If you get out of the car, load the rifle, go through the gate, glass a buck at the far end of the open field, you snurgle your way up the side of the field keeping track of the wind and watching the the bucks movements and reactions every few paces - does this count as stalking?

Max time on ground 10 minutes, shot distance 100m+ off a set of garden canes tied together with a bit of bungy.

Well that stalk was 10 minutes; does that help?
Top suggestions:
1. Leave the car at home and walk/tab/yomp.
2. Stalk via a circuituous route.
3. Alert the buck and see if he will extend the stalk.
4. M o v e s l o w l y......
5. Get closer and use the knife.
:D

Well that stalk was 10 minutes; does that help?
Top suggestions:
1. Leave the car at home and walk/tab/yomp.
2. Stalk via a circuituous route.
3. Alert the buck and see if he will extend the stalk.
4. M o v e s l o w l y......
5. Get closer and use the knife.
:D

LMFAO , you missed out
......6. whilst dragging your knuckles ! :rofl:

A few years ago, I got out of the car in the farmyard, walked 30 yds across the lawn, and shot 2 young bucks in the valley, off the stone wall, max time including glassing them? about 45 seconds.

180 yds on the rangefinder.

If you get out of the car, load the rifle, go through the gate, glass a buck at the far end of the open field, you snurgle your way up the side of the field keeping track of the wind and watching the the bucks movements and reactions every few paces - does this count as stalking?

Max time on ground 10 minutes, shot distance 100m+ off a set of garden canes tied together with a bit of bungy.

Sure it counts as stalking. If you can be back home and in bed in another 10 mins then IMHO it counts as perfect stalking :D I think it's called the Law of Averages. Think of all the days you go out and see nothing, or you go out and every shootable beast stands in an unshootable position. We still call that stalking so why not days when everything works out perfectly? After all, there's nothing to stop you carrying on after the first shot?

Let me give a practical example. I've just spend two days guiding the same client. Yesterday morning a muntjac doe appeared after just 15 minutes. We watched it cross the field towards us and, 15 minutes later, he executed a perfect Heart/Lung shot. He was delighted to shoot his first ever muntjac. Today a nice representative muntjac buck appeared after we'd been out 15 minutes. It stood in the ride, saw us, but darted away before the client could take the shot. For the rest of the morning every shootable beast was either skylined or bedded down out of sight, every non-shootable beast presented 'takeable' shots. Both days were stalking, but no guesses as to which day rated better. ;)

willie_gunn

How about getting out of bed spotting a doe from the window
then to rifle cabinate
back to window shoot deer
Get dressed and go do gralloch
This may sound far fetched but is true.it happened eailier this year one of my landlords is doing a lot of planting and has a no tolerace policy at the moment .

I got out the truck the other night after a half mile drive up the road at about 19.30 walked into valley about 300 yds,spotted buck up through the young trees to my right about 80 yds away up on sticks shot through the neck,sorted him out and left him there strolled quickly up through the valley to where i'd seen one the night before and just stood watching through the trees for all of 3 mins and buck just strolls in front of me 60 yds through neck again,now thats what i call a result, stalking, deer managment who cares,great fun.

That was the last of my three stalks for the level 2. It did make up for all the times I went out and either they didn't show or there was loads of the wrong sex swanning around in the fields whilst I twiddled my thumbs. :)

......and you can forget the tab/yomp or the circuituous route, the knees and back are bad enough without that malarky.

I know of at least one place you could open one eye, reach for the rifle, move the quilt out of scorching distance, & knock down a nice Roe! gotta qualify for the shortest stalk?:eek: (& No, it wasnay me!):D

I managed to get up to one of my permissions on Saturday evening. As I drove into the farm I had my eyes peeled. The entry road has wheat growing on both sides with a small copse of about 1 acre just inside the entrance. I spotted a cracking Roe buck with a good set of antlers just inside the copse about 40 yards from the path. He just looked at me and typically bounded off the moment I stopped to get my rifle from the boot. The only other action was a doe sauntering across the field of wheat 170 yds off with me sitting in the high seat and she stopped in the tractor line just to tempt me with a perfect shot that I didn't take. Alas my learning and patience curve continue to climb. Next time I shall prep the rifle the moment I'm on the permission and have it ready in the car as I reckon I could have taken the buck in those circumstances. That would have made for a short stalk.

Atb Back Stop :)

Back