Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 17HMR Splitting Cases?

CZ 17HMR Splitting Cases?

My friend recently noticed that his CZ has started splitting cases at the neck, tried various types of ammo all doing the same! i then also noticed at weekend when zeroing my CZ in that some of my cases are splitting also!

Anybody else had this problem?

Is the brass from all the same batch?

Seen quite often now with this cartridge, poor quality control & techniques of manufacture.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

No we have now tried various different makes of bullets and the same thing happens again! my other mate's CZ (so that's now three guns) are also splitting cases, all the guns are CZ 452 American's.

All from the same factory mate.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

common, doesnt seem to affect accuracy. at least it didnt in mine
    all from the same place so brand change wont help.

"CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501"

True that. It's all the same and the quality control is slipping. The first two "runs" of HMR back when it first came out were some of the best ammunition made anywhere. I shot much of the pre-production run that was given to manufacturers and press. On still desert mornings I could shoot an inch at 200M from my Green Mountain -barreled Ruger 77-17. There was nothing to compare it to.

Now that they've got rifles in all corners of the world, they are getting a bit lax. It costs a huge amount of money to make ammo of that quality -it requires slowing production down by at least 20% and leaving in a full circuit of annealing in the drawing process.~Muir

Spent a couple of hours with my Ruger 77/17 up the field last week (sighting in a new scope and "plinking") and your thread made me go and check the cases, which I had chucked in my range bag and were still festering in there ...

Out of 43 rounds, 7 were showing very fine splits at the neck. All recently-purchased Hornady V-Max 17gr Blue Tip. Many thanks for the alert - I'll check every one from now!

I have never had a split neck in my Annie, but my ammo (Hornady blue tip) in my mates CZ does split about 50% of the time.
    I did have this issue a few years ago in a CZ hm2, point of impact was ok, unless the split ran to below the neck, then it was a waste of space, and many bullet only just made it out the barrel.

Ive got an older batch of Hornady VMAX and notice that these split very often. Doesnt seen to cause an issue and rifle is very accurate.