Firearms certificate

varmint223

Can any of you lads explain or put me right on this one..........

Is it against the law to leave your firearms cert in your vehicle ( even if your not out shooting)

Thanks
Tommy

Where else would you keep it? Mine spends 99% of it's life in my glove box. I take it into the RFD to buy stuff and then put it back. The only time it gets more than 50 metres from the car is if I go shooting with someone away from my vehicle.

Guys,

Big difference in law between in your possession and on your possession.

Now all you have to give plod is your name and postcode and they have all your details and firearms/shotguns serial numbers instantly. It is still wise to have ID to support who you are in all walks of life.

I carry a photocopy of FAC and permission letters " in the unlikely event".

Stan

I take this to mean "in your possession" (i.e. you know where it is, haven't lost it and no-one else has obtained it) and "on your person" (i.e. carrying it).
I believe the requirement is "in your possession" but in some circumstances "on your person" can save hassle (unless you lose it!)

Didnt shooting times do something like this regarding leaving guns in cars? If I recall if you have taken all reasonable precautions...ie with a firearm left in a car with bolt out, out of sight , doors locked and alarm on ( not recommended but there are times when it might have to be for a short period ). If it then gets stolen you are not a criminal....the thief is. Surely this would apply to a certificate?? You might get treated like a criminal by the powers that be but having anything stolen doesnt make you one. A theft from a car could happen anywhere, even if you were parked at the police station. :D

Last edited:
Guys,

Big difference in law between in your possession and on your possession.

Now all you have to give plod is your name and postcode and they have all your details and firearms/shotguns serial numbers instantly. It is still wise to have ID to support who you are in all walks of life.

I carry a photocopy of FAC and permission letters " in the unlikely event".

Stan

You hit the nail right on the head there Stan.

I'm for the Photocopy and permission's, I dont fancy loose'n it or have'n it stolen from my car.

It's just your luck of the draw. Been pulled on a couple of ocassions some officers, shall we say

of a shooting creed understand, while others want to see the original cert.

Rgds, Buck.

PS. Unless i'm driving a considerable distance in which case i take the Real McCoy!

Didnt shooting times do something like this regarding leaving guns in cars? If I recall if you have taken all reasonable precautions...ie with a firearm left in a car with bolt out, out of sight , doors locked and alarm on ( not recommended but there are times when it might have to be for a short period ). If it then gets stolen you are not a criminal....the thief is. Surely this would apply to a certificate?? You might get treated like a criminal by the powers that be but having anything stolen doesnt make you one. A theft from a car could happen anywhere, even if you were parked at the police station. :D

I wasn't suggesting it's a criminal offence Peter - purely that they will take the opportunity to raise their eyebrows as it could be used for nefarious purposes. When I was young, I used to get pulled all the time in my car - I must have had a sign on the back....but it happened so often, I carried my docs with me. The car was stolen and they went mental when they found all the docs were in it as it could effectively be traded as a legit car and other forms of ID be created. This is a bit of a hangover I know, but we're meant to be responsible and all that. As has been said, they can check records easily enough these days (most cars will have direct remote access to the PND) and if a photocopy doesn't do, the equivalent of a seven day wonder to appear with the original (if as said before the officer concerned just doesn't know shooting) should more than suffice. We're not obliged (yet) to carry licences for the other lethal weapon we all have (the car), so the same should apply here - that's not to take away from the convenience of having it there when you do go to the RFD or whatever. Bought that lamp yet?!

Hi Si, Didnt think you were suggesting that :oops: sorry if it appeared that way as my thread followed yours. Havent got the lamp yet , still deciding.

Pete

Didn't mean to embarrass you either Pete - sorry - just the way these things read!! Offer's still open! Let me know when you're back down south.

Thanks to all for clearing that question up for me ..... think i'll just start keeping it in the cabinet instead of the car to be safe

Thanks lads

varmint223,

Treat it the same as your passport.

You only need the original when purchasing guns & ammo. Rest of the time a photocopy "might help with plod" but isn't necessary if you have "other" photo ID. Your driving licence is sufficient for plod to know your FAC number and firearm details and authority.

Stan

varmint223,

You only need the original when purchasing guns & ammo. Rest of the time a photocopy "might help with plod" but isn't necessary if you have "other" photo ID. Your driving licence is sufficient for plod to know your FAC number and firearm details and authority.

Stan

That's fine if you always plan well in advance to buy cartridges/ammo. Sometimes I just call in, or will go shopping with the gf and call in to a different gunshop. No good in your cabinet or at home then. Just pop out to the car.

varmint223,

Stan

Thanks Stan , i'll get it copied or use driving licence for ID purposes

cheers
Tommy

That's fine if you always plan well in advance to buy cartridges/ammo. Sometimes I just call in, or will go shopping with the gf and call in to a different gunshop. No good in your cabinet or at home then. Just pop out to the car.

Like you I have always kept mine in my vehicle for no better reason than I know where it is and if I go to the gunshop which is 30 odd miles away it's always there.
There is nothing printed on a fac to say it has to be stored securely, unlike firearms where it says at 4(a) they must be stored securely. The only stipulation on the cert is that it's loss, theft or destruction must be reported within 7 days.
I lost mine some years ago and a replacement was sent to me without comment.

Guys,

I have more than one jacket. I keep photocopies of FAC/shotgun and permissions in every jacket.

I have more than one car.........

Now, I keep my certificates at home and only take them to RFD when I need to.

Stan

Stan

I should really have qualified my post by saying that down here on Exmoor we can only afford one coat and keep the fac in the only vehicle that runs on white diesel :oops:

and when it gets nicked - the scum have an address to look for firearms when you aren't in.....
It is also photographic ID which can leave you open to identity theft...

who needs to nick one when the Daily Mail and Cumbria Police seem happy to publish them online!
print and photoshop your own!!

article-1361783-0D6CB27C000005DC-976_306x360.jpg

Back