Fit to eat ?

Rick

I shot a young buck this weekend, it look fine and was acting normal before the shot.
When I came to grallouch the deer it seem thin, I then noticed
It was infested with thousands( and I mean thousands) of ticks!
I have never seem a deer with so many! 2-3 hundred on it's head
And face alone! Do you think this deer would still be safe to eat ?

Thanks
Rich

I wouldn't risk it but the dogs would.... the odd tick is normal but the disease risk would certainly stop me from eating or allowing it to be used... just me.

I wouldn't risk it but the dogs would.... the odd tick is normal but the disease risk would certainly stop me from eating or allowing it to be used... just me.

No, not just you.... I'd be reluctant too although the ticks obviously thought it was ok to eat.

If the deer seemed quite normal before the shot and your inspection of the lymph nodes showed no abnormalities, then I would have no problem eating it.
I have found that young bucks in some areas where the deer population is quite high, would often have a high tick burden in the spring.

Cheers
OT

Hate ticks if infestation was that bad uggh.how did you bring yorself to handle it:scared:.I have in the past seen them havig a lot on the head but thousands.waste or not I think if it were me it would be left out of sight or be fox bait

If the deer seemed quite normal before the shot and your inspection of the lymph nodes showed no abnormalities, then I would have no problem eating it.
I have found that young bucks in some areas where the deer population is quite high, would often have a high tick burden in the spring.

Cheers
OT

+1. Not an entirely uncommon occurance in some areas. Hang it above your deer tray filled with water. When skinning these horrible ones, I do it in short sleeves to prevent migration onto my clothes allowing the evil things to get in elsewhere. I will then do it as Fast as I can stopping regularly to see if there are any working their way up my arm. I find I don't need a radio or mp3 when doing this job as the very high volume screaming and extremely foul language keep me from getting bored.

B.

PS Get an Otom tick remover if you don't already have one.

Last edited:

What disease risk?:confused:
one tick, or one thousand, what's the difference?
No serious disease issue at all. The animal maybe suffering from the burden, but no reason it shouldn't be fit for human consumption.
MS

If anyone gets a chance, I would like a photo of a heavy infestation like that for training purposes. Cheers, JC

I know a guy that caught Lymes from his first tick bite and he is absolutely on his knees.. he can sleep for days and is on a 2 litre a day drip and had to retire at 50 from his job, he will eventually be in a wheel-chair. If a deer has a heavy burden who on here could guarantee the Lymes is not in the deers metabolism and i for one would pass on the meat.

You are probably right but in my over careful mind i cannot see how a parasite or thousands in this case can live on a Roe Deer and swap body fluids and not affect the bloodstream which will affect the meat?
If ticks carried HIV/AIDS would you still get the oven on?

Would not the cooking of the meat kill any kind bugs in there ???? ive had some with heavy tic population on them not hundreds but 50 or so still ate the meat :)

Jason

I have seen Reds glistening like a salmon with whole flanks covered in ticks.. i believe ticks regurgitate the body waste into the deers blood and that is what concerns me.

As far as I am aware you are safe to eat the meat (I am sure there are experts who will either confirm this or not as the case maybe) but I iknow of no one who has had trouble after eating a deer that was heavily infected with ticks.

The west coast of Scotland near Lochinver is a terrible place for ticks and every deer we took over a 2 year period was infested with them. Also having caught Lymes it is something I do not want back again, so be aware.

If the lympe chain was clear and the lungs showed no signs of infection I wouldnt worry. However if the beast was that mal - nourished and thin I would drop it in the pit with the rest of the offal. You can always go and take another one that is carrying more weight and is healthier looking.

I've read some crap on here in my time but this thread is becoming one of the worst! Any single tick on Any deer could carry lymes disease! Better stop eating venison altogether if you are concerned about it. You simply cannot get Lymes from eating cooked venison!
Better stop eating rabbits too just in case yer eyes swell up and yer arse pops out with Myxy!!!:rolleyes:
Personal preferences and dislikes should not be confused with medical facts!!!!
MS

I think the fact that you started this thread shows you are unsure about it and you are the only one that has actually seen it.

If you have any doubt then dont eat it!

I've read some crap on here in my time but this thread is becoming one of the worst! Any single tick on Any deer could carry lymes disease! Better stop eating venison altogether if you are concerned about it. You simply cannot get Lymes from eating cooked venison!
Better stop eating rabbits too just in case yer eyes swell up and yer arse pops out with Myxy!!!
Personal preferences and dislikes should not be confused with medical facts!!!!
MS
MS :rofl: totaly agree with you MS

Jason

Back