A few weeks back I posted about fast twists in 22/250 etc. Since getting the semi custom 260rem a few years ago, I have had a real itch to get a 22CF in a near identical configuration to match. Problem was I wanted to do this on a Sako 75 and these can be pricey just for a donor action. Long story short I found what I thought was a pretty rough 75 in 22/250, so I bought it for around £600 and sent it to my RFD. I had intended just to ship it directly to Steve Kershaw and not even look at it. However, the RFD said he thought the rifle was actually not too bad, I had a look and agreed. The rifle was filthy, it looked like it had been owned by a diesel fitter who never washed his hands. The rifle was covered in oil and grease. Also, someone had made a poor job of cutting and threading for a mod. We agreed I would risk a £100 on it. It was sent over to Steve Kershaw for the old thread to be removed and the barrel was cut to 20" and rethreaded and recrowned 15x1 spigot.
I got the rifle home a couple of weeks ago. First thing I did was strip it down and soak it in a bath of soapy water. I scrubbed it with a nylon cleaning pad. It came up immaculate. It looks like new and the bore seems very good.
This is after the clean up:
I wanted to shoot some 52gr A-Max's just for a change. Load development consisted of running a short ladder of charges up to book max with Benchmark. 33.7gr looked promising, I started with the bullet at one diameter into the case and worked down, within a few groups, the size shrank radically:
Over five three shot groups the worst was .45", average around .35".
I was going to write this rifle off for parts. I think the moral is not to discount a rifle just it looks a little rough. I have less than £750 invested in this gun, and it shoots as well as I can shoot, and better. It might get a McMillan though....