Worker sues Forestry Commission over Lyme Disease

You have to feel for the guy in question and the f/c.I see a landmark case coming along,the only winners are the lawyers.

after 20 years working for the FC he didnt know how to try and prevent it :eek: sounds to me he is just on the make for some extra cash.If he was that concerned about it then why didn't he work somewhere else :confused:

Think he is at the fanny. He lives in Appin and does not know about ticks and lymes disease and how to prevent it?

My arse.

He is looking for a pension.

I can see both sides of the story, of course he knew the risks but he might win £80,000 or, more realistically, walk away with £10,000 which is £10,000 more than I have in my back pocket at the moment.

Another case that is waiting to happen is the one for hearing loss; I have been prescribed two hearing aids and the damage is in very specific bands that can almost certainly be atributed to rifle use. Now, my first employer did not issue me with any hearing protection (it was long before moderators) or recommend that purchased my own.

The consultant at the hospital says that I would have a very good case for compensation. Like a lot of people, I wouldn't dream of seeking a payment because its my own fault but, i'm not a couple of years from retirement (yet!) with no savings and about to be booted out of an estate cottage, I might be looking at things differently if that were the situation.

One thing that I have learnt over the years is that, whilst its very honourable to be a good, loyal employee; thats all you ever are, especially on private country estates, we are still the peasants, once you have moved on you are quickly forgotten.

I don't blame the bloke for having a go, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

JC

He's got 20years under his belt working with the FC. in Argyll & Bute area and has little knowledge of ticks & lyme disease!!!!!

he's got to be Joking. :rofl: Or he's a complete :doh:

Rgds, Buck.

Billy it looks like he has had some fruit tell him to hit them with a law suit for his Lyme disease, sue the government that he has worked for with in the job for twenty years ,he'll be lucky .

I wonder what the opening of that case will be ,twenty years in the fc and you've only just found out ticks bite ,lol.

Just how many ticks in the twenty years has he removed from his person .

Don't know how you guys are finding it but on our ground it is maving with ticks this year - took eight off my legs and another nine off my arm following last visit.

Don't know how you guys are finding it but on our ground it is maving with ticks this year - took eight off my legs and another nine off my arm following last visit.

I think it's because of the mild winter we had (very little prolonged frost),

plenty of snow though which seems to insulate the little BAS*ARDS underneath

nevertheless plenty on the go!!!

Rgds, Buck.

Reference the employers liability claim mentioned at the start of this thread. If the fact is established that the guy contracted lyme's diease in the course of his employment, he will get a result against the FC. Lyme's diease is a known hazard and if the FC have failed to adequately protect an employee from it, the man will win in court. I would expect an out of court settlement.

I know nothing of the details of the case but a rough guide would be that the guy would get £10K to £15K per year for the recovery period. ie, if he fully recovered within 18 months he might pick up £20K. Then there are special losses, If the guy was out on SSP for a year, he might have another £15K loss of earnings.

If he is debilitated long term, that is a whole new ball game.

The sums involved are not insignificant.

You can tell some one about a hazzard but you need to make sure they are fully prepared for it thats were the law will stand IMO. As long as the FC coverd all the angles they will win if not they will loose.As a tax payer that means we loose again.

Last edited:
for stalkers the concern is how will it affect the FC in their allowing others onto their land when they cannot vouch for the safety of their own employees i suppose?
and how much will it add to any costs to those using the land to get access?

atb

Reference the employers liability claim mentioned at the start of this thread. If the fact is established that the guy contracted lyme's diease in the course of his employment, he will get a result against the FC. Lyme's diease is a known hazard and if the FC have failed to adequately protect an employee from it, the man will win in court. I would expect an out of court settlement.

I know nothing of the details of the case but a rough guide would be that the guy would get £10K to £15K per year for the recovery period. ie, if he fully recovered within 18 months he might pick up £20K. Then there are special losses, If the guy was out on SSP for a year, he might have another £15K loss of earnings.

If he is debilitated long term, that is a whole new ball game.

The sums involved are not insignificant.

We all know of the hazards associated with ticks, another, big BUT there is no successful way of combating them ,that on reading any of the web site, no one has anything to stop them ,that being the case just how can the employer be liable .

It is not a health and safety issue as such or do you claim it as a near miss or a hit as the terminology goes .

I've worked in the countryside most of my days, there's never been any old wives remedies for ticks the nearest is bog mirtil even the deer role in it, but still have tick all over them .

There are a couple of lawyer on the site how would a case such as this proceed

FC were issuing guidance from 1997, in fact they were the first to do so and it was as up to date as anything for it's time , they also issued insect repellant.

I contacted Lymme disease probably when working for FC in and around 96. I was given plenty of guidance and help and many others did.

Can i prove the tick in question latched on to me during working hours?

No , I can't and either can he !

It's a terrible thing to suffer from and I can tell you after 3 wks of early mornings my knees are killing me and I'm completely knackered, hence hardly being on SD.

FC have plenty faults but I can tell you as an employer they have done more than anyone in regard to tick bourne disease, what have MOD, SNH, SSE done?

FA!

hi if the fc does not mention in there risk assesment method statement the risks and controll measures against the risks they will get clobbered by a good industrail disease lawyer every industry now wheres theres a blame thers a claim
atb tom

Back