Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your First Deer

Your First Deer

how many of you can remember your first ever Deer that you shot ???
    I`m afraid when i die the wife will sell my gear for the price i told her

Everyone can remember it, it's just a matter of typing it up, mine was a roebuck, when God was a boy

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

my first proper stalk was for roe and i shot a doe my guide and i had crept up on ,i was shaking so much its a wonder i could hit a barn door let alone a deer ,but it was a good shot ,relief arhh .

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Mine was a red stag up in Sutherland and I remember it like it was yesterday. I could still take you to the exact spot. I remember the view of the beast through the scope, my heart thumping, and wondering if I would be able to squeeze the trigger. After the shot, the stalker 'blooded' me.

I also remember my first roebuck, shot from a high seat during the rut. Felt a bit bad as he'd just had his wicked way!

Strangely, though, I don't remember my first muntjac or my first fallow

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

yes, mine was a roe doe about 7 years ago now. I remember walking up a ride with my mentor and stopping to glass around in front of us, i happened to look behind us and the doe was slowly crossing the ride no more than eighty yards away, i was pulling his coat like a child trying to get his mums attention i was so excited, i can still remember him saying to me "for gods sake calm down and dont squeeze the trigger till you've stopped shaking". Anyway i managed to control myself and took it with a textbook broadside shot. Needless to say whenever i stop to have a look with the bino's now i always have a glance over my shoulder before moving on.

I remember the first, a roe doe.

I also remember well the first with my own rifle, a Fallow pricket. So excited I didn't reload and shoot his mate stood beside him. Just stood and gawped as he wandered off.

Yep remember it in every detail, Muntjac whilst out foxing one evening, arrived early & lo & behold Munty wandered out of a hedge line just in front of me.

First Roe was a young buck from a high seat I'd only erected a few days before.

Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Nr Newport (shrops)
    i remember it like it was yesterday, a roe doe

a great feeling

Every detail. From waking up at stupid oclock to shaking like a leaf prior to taking the shot. Roe doe followed by the kid.
    Wasnt really much of a 'stalk' as we'd spotted them up the hill from the (not public)road leading up to the ground. Just a creep along the hedge line to a gate and then set up about 70yds from them.
    First roe buck was a good stalk as was my first fallow doe and sika hind.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

A switch type young Red stag shot on Rough Side, Kirkstone Pass in September 1961 .
    It was on the ground after 5/6 yards after a heart shot with a 173gr RWS `Teilmantel`bullet from a 7X65R cartridge.
    Served my time gralloching it there, but I had ten years previous experience on rabbits etc. so the principle was similar.
    The real work started after that as it is a very rough stoney mountain, no Quad bike just brute force.
    Last edited by stag1933; 07-05-2011 at 16:57. Reason: Picture added.