New comer to reloading.

Roebuck270

A friend of mine got into reloading for his .243 and said the amount of ammo i get through i should start to reload my own.
For starters is it as easy as he makes out ? how easy is it to ruin my rifles ? could i put myself in danger ?
I have heard of storys about after using home loads the bolt can be hard to open, i have even heard of cases where the bolt would not open at all.
Can any of you guys give me any advice on starting home loading and what i should be careful over.
Many thanks :D :D :D

hi roebuck are you thinking of reloading for a 270? if so i can help with data ,now onto your questions it really depends on a few things really. i think its one of the easiest things to do .are you practically minded? you can only put yourself in danger if you dont follow simple instructions always start a load safely and work up .the bolt should work fine unless you have put too much pressure from a higher load .give us abit more info on what you want to achieve but i dont think you will look back once starting out safely atb,wayne

Various organisations offer reloading courses - I did the one at Bisley with the NRA. If you are totally new and have no access to other resources such as an experienced reloader as a friend, taking the course will give you confidence. If you are getting into reloading to save money, be weary of all the gadgets and equipment you can buy:D

I reload because I am tight not because I want to shoot single hole groups from concrete benches!

On that basis it can be done on a shoestring, numerous threads on here, do a search for "reloading on a budget"

Cheers guys, the calibers im thinking of reloading are .308 and .375 H&H Mag, i did see the BDS sometimes do reloading courses but they never seem to have dates on when and where they are going to hold the.

Cheers guys, the calibers im thinking of reloading are .308 and .375 H&H Mag, i did see the BDS sometimes do reloading courses but they never seem to have dates on when and where they are going to hold the.

Reloading courses are a great way to empty your wallet if it's too full;)
If you can read AND FOLLOW instructions, you can reload.
In fact, if you shoot a 375 H&H at all frequently, I'm surprised you don't reload already.

Hi Roebuck270,
I'm running a reloading course for the BDS South West of England branch on 21st of May here in the Lyme Regis.
We have spaces available and it won't be crowded. You would be most welcome to join us for it if you are near enough.
Please contact me for details if interested.
Regards Ian

Harry mac, not got the .375 yet as still waiting for it to turn up, put an order in for 200 rounds of norma oryx, but the shear cost and being able to get hold of the ammo keeps pushing me to thinking about reloading.
Yorric will see what im doing on the 21st, but maybe a bit far for a day.
Thanks very much guys. :D :D :D

A friend of mine got into reloading for his .243 and said the amount of ammo i get through i should start to reload my own.
For starters is it as easy as he makes out ? how easy is it to ruin my rifles ? could i put myself in danger ?
I have heard of storys about after using home loads the bolt can be hard to open, i have even heard of cases where the bolt would not open at all.
Can any of you guys give me any advice on starting home loading and what i should be careful over.
Many thanks :D :D :D

Some people are not cut out for reloading. I'm guessing that you are NOT one of these since you are asking questions. Why not invest some money in Lee's "Modern Reloading" and read the text? You will have all of your questions answered and more -and should you decide to proceed you will have one of the best books on the subject available to the beginner. (Read as to mean: "You're gonna need it anyhow") :)D ) ~Muir

Roebuck.

If you ask for help from guys on this forum, with your location, I am sure someone will offer to walk you through the process and will point out the pitfalls and offer tips. Read up on the links provided. The thread at the start of this section is a good starter. I am not telling you that you should not attend a pukka course, but there is a wealth of knowledge and experience out there that is freely available and many guys are willing to pass it on - me included.

Bryan

Back