Ticks

chiron

I shot first two bucks of the season on friday night and was glad I had applied tick repellent oil before stalking because both beasts were litterally crawling with those nasty little blighters. They were from opposite ends of estate so not a localised infestation. Both beast well into moult and looked quite scruffy still.Has anyone noticed higher levels of ticks this year? Could this be due to recent hot dry weather? The ground is in South Suffolk.

What amazes me is that they are still crawling around despite having been in the chiller since friday night. I must admit that after meeting a lady confined to a wheelchair from Lymes disease at the Gamefair I have taken paticular care over checking for them.

I hate the things and check every evening after stalking yet took one off my leg on sunday it was tiny only about 1.5mm round thought it was piece of grit to start with.

I've also noticed alot of ticks so far this year, more than usual. we're seeing them where we normally dont, i don't know why but we have the same problem up north.

Its a good year for ticks here as well,lots of tiny little beggars,had one right deep in my belly button the other day only sussed it cos it started itching.

hi i shot a munjac on 29/4/11 with a lot more than the usual amount of ticks on,they were allround both hips and also under the forelegs as well,skinned the deer keeping a good look out for the little buggers,caught one trying to creep up my arm,wife thought i was paranoid for the rest of the day,but i took a bite off one a few years ago that came up with a red ring about 2inches across, had some antibiotics for it seems ok since,but i does seem to sharpen the mind tho

I shot first two bucks of the season on friday night and was glad I had applied tick repellent oil before stalking because both beasts were litterally crawling with those nasty little blighters. They were from opposite ends of estate so not a localised infestation. Both beast well into moult and looked quite scruffy still.Has anyone noticed higher levels of ticks this year? Could this be due to recent hot dry weather? The ground is in South Suffolk.

What amazes me is that they are still crawling around despite having been in the chiller since friday night. I must admit that after meeting a lady confined to a wheelchair from Lymes disease at the Gamefair I have taken paticular care over checking for them.

Hi chiron
The reason they seem very active after being in the chiller is that as the beast cools obviously the blood supply ceases, they then move out to the end of the hairs to try and attach to another host, horrible little *******s
Regards

Makes sense I suppose. Any idea how long before they die(chiller at 2 degrees) or could they rise like Lazurus from the dead and nibble me when I am skinning the beast. I normally leave my carcasses to hang for two weeks ,the ticks appear dead by then but I think with young bucks a week is probabaly long enough.

I shot a buck on Wednesday that was also heaving with ticks (South Hampshire). After three days in the chiller at 2 degrees they were still very much alive! One thing I have noticed with Ticks is that once they realise the host is no longer yielding blood they will climb upwards and to the ends of antlers or nearby foliage, I can only pressume this is to get a better chance of attaching to a new host (usually me!).

Having had a few of these on at various times once got very wary of one that had been hanging on my 8ollocks. Went to the doctor and mentioned my concerns and he was obviously a townie as he looked up a few things whilst i was there, no not my trouser leg :eek:. Reluctantly sent me for a blood test as i wanted to be safe than sorry.

Makes sense I suppose. Any idea how long before they die(chiller at 2 degrees) or could they rise like Lazurus from the dead and nibble me when I am skinning the beast. I normally leave my carcasses to hang for two weeks ,the ticks appear dead by then but I think with young bucks a week is probabaly long enough.

They dont die :) I,m joking of course but if thet can survive the sub zero temps we have had they will make it in a chiller.

Back