Recovered Partition in 6.5

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
We had at the end of April a roe buck which was followed up and shot again. A neck shot in corn, the bullet clipped the neck raked the loin and came to rest in the bucks hip joint.
We could not see because of the corn which way the body of the beast was.(unfortunate).:doh:
09052011514.jpg

09052011516.jpg

09052011517.jpg

I believe it is a 140gr nosler partition in 6.5 cal
I will weigh it shortly.

Interesting photo - thanks for posting. I've just started using partitions and the only deer I've shot with them was a neck shot (my first neck shot ever) so I can't really comment on performance other than to say it was beyond my expectations.

I had heard that they lost the front core quite often but that this was generally a positive thing as the front core then spent its time doing extra damage and this would certainly appear to be what has happened in your case.

John, were the petals open like that when you recovered the bullet?

If so, they will have cut a fine track through a beast. I have a batch of 125gr 6.5's on order just now. Will be interesting to try them out this year.

YES ITS AS IT WAS.
the damage wasn't bad as it had shed much of its velocity in the neck and loin area which were writen off.
my personal load in my 6.5 is the 125 partitions.

I use partitions, 150 grain in .308. Would be interesting to see what other bullets expanding capabilities are like. As partitions are expensive, i would like to think they would out perform most of the others. Well done on retrieving, and posting a useful photo. Ed.

I use partitions, 150 grain in .308. Would be interesting to see what other bullets expanding capabilities are like. As partitions are expensive, i would like to think they would out perform most of the others. Well done on retrieving, and posting a useful photo. Ed.

Picture below
of part of a Nosler partition extracted from a Red-deer, the front core was lost and the rear core was backing out. [.30-06 calibre.]
The pair on the right are common Speer SPBT.270 calibre 130 grainers which I generally use in my Carl Gustaf. [also retrieved from Reds.]
They are accurate and cause minimal carcase damage.
Personally I would not spend extra cash on Partitions as I have killed many beasts with those common Speers.
HWH.
Speerwarnings.jpg

thats a lot of material loss from that partition.
I thought the core was bonded to the jacket in these.

I have recovered standard off the shelf norma bullets from red deer and they look a lot like the speer mushrooms above. still retaining the bulk of the core and most of the jacket.

Hi,

Where do you guys get the 125gr Nosler Partitions from?
Trying to find some to try but not having much luck.

Cheers,

Will

Partitions are not bonded.
they are designed to retain about 60-66%

"The enclosed rear core retains more than two-thirds of the original bullet weight for deep penetration."

neither of those above look like the marketing blurb.
Partition - Nosler - Bullets, Ammunition, Rifles, Brass, Reloading Data, Hunting, Shooting, Reloading, Load Data

given the cost I would have expected them to keep at least some of the front core in place (as they seem to indicate it will)

"The enclosed rear core retains more than two-thirds of the original bullet weight for deep penetration."

[/url]

given the cost I would have expected them to keep at least some of the front core in place (as they seem to indicate it will)
two thirds is 66%:doh:

I have found them with the front core resting in the partition but they usually shed it, as it often exits leaving the shank behind especially when it mushrooms unusually like the photos.

Stag, i am very interested to see that the bullets were recovered from the beasts.I have shot Reds, Roe and African game Warthog to Wilderbeast and all the bullets have passed clean through so have never found the spent bullet. The Wilderbeast was 190 yrds quartering shot, i aimed at the back of its ribs and the bullet exited opposite shoulder with a wound as wide as your finger so it had allot of beast to get through,The bullet was a 180 grn Partition from my 30-06
Tusker

I have found them with the front core resting in the partition but they usually shed it, as it often exits leaving the shank behind especially when it mushrooms unusually like the photos.

I remember reading somewhere that this shedding of the front core was a common mode of "failure" of the partition. However, I suspect that it greatly increases the damage the bullet does and so neither Nosler, nor hunters, want this "failure" designed out of the bullet. In view of the fact the bullet has been around for a long time and in view of how technology develops I'd be pretty certain Nosler could remove this mode of failure with little effort.

I'm guessing that the reason your bullet could keep the jacket open like that, rather than having the petals bent back, is because it travelled in the temporary cavity created by the front core which was moving ahead, and maybe tumbling, of the main bulk of the bullet. That is a pretty wild guess but I'm sticking with it until I see a better one. :D

I have a few recovered bullets that i will photo for you if you interested?
It will have to wait for now as i'm off to meet tonights client.
but heres a 7mm 175 gr trophy bonded bear claw recovered from a wild boar shot at 25m's with a 7mm rem mag.
Image0085.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that this shedding of the front core was a common mode of "failure" of the partition.......

Lads, the performance of this Partition can in no way be described as a failure. Partitions are designed to perform in exactly this fashion: open up substantially, shed the core, and bore on through the beast with the petals spinning like a buzz saw. Partitions are reknowned for being quick killers, and this is how they achieve it

The only "problem" is that with a Partition you rarely get one stopped in a deer to conduct a forensic review like this one.

I once shot a boar in one ear and out the other with a 150gr Partition from my 270. I swear, you could nearly see daylight through the hole....

Top thread John.

Last edited:
The partition is such a highly rated bullet because of the controlled expansion in the photographs. A fantastic round - has anyone actually known one to fail?!

as promised.
these bullets mainly were fired into(through) a newly dead sow and then recovered from a wet bale.(100 yrds) they are .25, 7mm and .30 cal.
bullets-1.jpg

11052011534.jpg

11052011533.jpg

Questions??

Those interlocks look menacing.
They do but inevitably nearly always shed the core (which exited leaving the jacket still in the animal). Not the best.
If you look at the normal partition expansion one has the front core the other a large hollow point(for want of a better description) and the "petals" are folded back in a more normal fashion.
The bonded bullets shone.... The grand slam, hot core and bear claw all show great complete mushrooms.

John, have you tried 129gr Interbonds in your 6.5?

I have a box here unopened (£70!!) that I have not got around to trying yet.

Back