"Fair Game"

The trouble with Mike Yardley is he has done it all and comes over as exactly what i don't want to be.. he is a clever chap but not typical of 99% of shooting folks?

My point is why you would need to show him shooting in Africa,South America etc........ .Thats all great if it floats your boat and you have the wallet to do it.

The trouble with Mike Yardley is he has done it all and comes over as exactly what i don't want to be.. he is a clever chap but not typical of 99% of shooting folks?

Have to agree here, I have no doubt he's a knowledgable chap and excellent shot but comes across as a stereo-typical toff, guarantee'd to alienate your average working class man and definately not a true reflection of the vast majority of us.

It started off giving shooters and keepers a bit of a kicking, I did spill my whisky when on the Estate in Lanark under the "newly" disturbed bit of ground in the plantation he pulled out a old Buzzard, "newly" disturbed putting it there for the film crew me thinks.
They tried to finish it off with a "balenced" overview but the scales were tipped in the RSPB/tree huggers favor. Could have questioned some of the "evidence" the RSPB put forward more. ... could have been and was expecting worse.

Just a fact, Abernethy have nearly 100 lekking Blackcock, Caper numbers are fluctuating but it still has the highest density/ number in the country and the Maylers [ex owners] have a 5yr walked up average of 189 brace.

Peter Fraser is the vice Chair of the SGA

I thought there were some inaccuracies ,but it wasn't too bad.

Duncan Orr-Ewing did get a fair bit of air time , but did hit the nail in the head, as I have shouted before, it's not the keepers who are driving this, it's the spineless owners and greedy clients!

Jamie Williamson was excellent and as always , a great ambasador.

Davie Dick, Dick by name , **** by nature!

No doubt this will stir things up, but I didn't see anything beyond the truth, a small minority are f****** it up for us

Hello Bambislayer - - all your comments are spot on - - as usual.

JR

Davie Dick...Ive been in his binoculars a few times

He wouldnt get a job in covert surveillance :D

Last edited:
Control no control? Look at the buzzard we have now, badgers numbers through the roof, pine martins all over the place, saw a dead one on the A82 yesterday, so why can't we control them if they are taking our game or domestic birds, try keeping chickens if you live in pine martin country, moray plains up till 1970's great grey partridge ground, ain't now why just look at the number of buzzards and I have watched them take chick after chick when they come out to dry after a rain shower, less than 3 miles from Inverness city centre i have found dead buzzards poisoned, nope starvation to many for low food source, so I could eaisly dumped the burds some place stuff full rat poision and make a keepers life hell with the RSPB an Police, cause they will go in mob handed.

Just my own feelings on the matter, aye one bad apple in the barrel will tain't the rest am afraid.

Bod.

A not a single mention of the pigeon racing fraternity which around the Central Scotland area are the real culprits...

Do you really think Pigeon Men would do such a thing as that, surly not!!!! :eek:

If so it would not just be Central Scotland in the spotlight. :-|

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
Are you blinkered? One big loft up on a dozen charges right now.... trappping, poisoning, illegal shotgun and cartridges. Peregrines are the racing pigeons biggest enemy.

Re Abernethy reserve formerly known as Forest Lodge estate, I cant come out and dispute wholeheartedly Bambislayers figures that he quoted, all I would say is that if they have come from the RSPB themselves then I'd be rather suspicious of them.
As for the Caper numbers fluctuating.... No I think they are falling. Again this is just going by what I can see with my own eyes.
Having seen the RSPB at work there I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. One of there wardens took out a young lad spotlighting and told him that the deer he was shooting were only the old and sick ones!!!! F--k he's some boy to be able to tell that with a pair of eyes shining back at him!
If you had ever walked through that forest prior to the RSPBs buying of it you will see it as a shadow of what it once was for all matter of wildlife not just the turkey sized caper but all matter of small song birds also.
I must say I am surprised with the figures for the Naylors walked up grouse shooting. I didn't think Murray or Christopher would be able to walk that far these days. But for the size of the estate and the heather moorland available that figure should be easily achievable.

+1

Cannot believe i am agreeing with REDDOT. Down south he must be a poster boy in his range rover and rolex

For a reply I looked for a reference by search. Too much so why was it never mentioned. Well pointed out reddot. Pick your own. type "pigeon loft poison harriers" into your search engine and boggle at the results.
Jim

Are you blinkered? One big loft up on a dozen charges right now.... trappping, poisoning, illegal shotgun and cartridges. Peregrines are the racing pigeons biggest enemy.

Off couse not "RED", al least not the last time I look'd in the mirror. Living in the central belt am well aware of what DOO men get up to.

Was just test'n the water!! after all you could be a DOO fancier yourself.

But then again look'n at your Avatar I wonder!!!

Kind Rgds, Buck.

I took a bitch to be coverd by a grouse keepers stud dog ( one of many) on the Leadhills estate some years ago.....

Interestingly he claimed that the Doos where a cause of the problem,when Perigrines are rearing young the Doos are out, so a pair of peris can easily rear a full brood with this plentifull food supply, But when the Doos are shut up at the end of the season you have the whole family of peris interests turning to grouse.....

Back