New or Second Hand

Miroku6000

I am currently planning on putting in an application for my FAC. My plan is to apply for a .308 as I have no need to shoot foxes and would like a rifle which can deal with any of the UK game species, Boar included.

I have shot a .270 and 30-06 in the past and found them a bit harsh on the recoil, then again I am a weakling. The .308 I have used was softer in my opinion than the .243 I have used.

Anyway if I want to spend around £500 on the rifle would I be better going for a new rifle or a good second hand one?

Are Hoaw rifles up to much in terms of quality?

Thanks

Have .270 howa s/steel 2years,shots very well,and at the price not worried about knocks and scratches on the hill.a good basic rifle,could pay a lot more for not much better,shoots 3/4 MOA all the time.:)

For £500 you'd be better off looking for a good second hand rifle, there's certainly plenty about in .308. You can't really go wrong with any of the popular brands, Sako's and Tikka's are a safe bet, in my opinion, obviously.

Although having said that you may not get .308 granted for a first time application, don't ask me why since a .243 is just a deadly as a .308 in the wrong hands. But Humberside may recommend you go for .243 as a first time application, with various other conditions imposed to boot. Have a quick flick through some of the posts on here and find one's regarding first time applications.

Tom

If its recoil that's putting you off a 270, i was out recently with someone shooting a moderated 270 and the difference from what i'd seen before on 270 without one on was to say the least dramatic. (very little recoil)

For £500 you'd be better off looking for a good second hand rifle, there's certainly plenty about in .308. You can't really go wrong with any of the popular brands, Sako's and Tikka's are a safe bet, in my opinion, obviously.

Although having said that you may not get .308 granted for a first time application, don't ask me why since a .243 is just a deadly as a .308 in the wrong hands. But Humberside may recommend you go for .243 as a first time application, with various other conditions imposed to boot. Have a quick flick through some of the posts on here and find one's regarding first time applications.

Tom

Thanks for that! I had heard about anything bigger than .243 being tricky first time round. I have been a SGC holder for 15 years, will this make any difference?

Not really no, although your gun safety will be better than the average person that's new to shooting they'll still consider you a novice in terms of FAC ownership. Best thing to do is give them a bell and ask. Fingers crossed you don't get the lad with a stammer, he can be hard work.

Tom

If you can prove you have boar to shoot then there is no reason they should not grant you a .270 also as stated if you add a sound moderator the recoil will be very little or you could have a muzzle brake.

I am currently planning on putting in an application for my FAC. My plan is to apply for a .308 as I have no need to shoot foxes and would like a rifle which can deal with any of the UK game species, Boar included.

I have shot a .270 and 30-06 in the past and found them a bit harsh on the recoil, then again I am a weakling. The .308 I have used was softer in my opinion than the .243 I have used.

Anyway if I want to spend around £500 on the rifle would I be better going for a new rifle or a good second hand one?

Are Hoaw rifles up to much in terms of quality?

Thanks

With a budget of £500 this looks ideal, its one of the best Sako actions and at this price its a steal,

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/101028001251917

.308 calibre can take many 1000's of rounds before youhave to start worrying about wear so I would certainly take a second hand one.

You may want to consider the following if your going second hand.

1. Ask if they mind you getting it bore scoped prior to purchase. Some RFD/Gunsmiths will do this for you at a small cost if you have it RFD'd to them.
2. Ask them if they can demonstrate the rifle grouping at targets.
3. Ask about its history and check it out prior to purchase. Every gun on the guntrader only ever seems to be fired 200 times then sold. :-|

Thanks for the advice! I gave Humberside a call who were very helpful and basically said the calibre granted is all down to the opportunities that I have.

Regarding a second hand rifle, is a .243 likely to burn out a barrel? In other words is a worn bore going to be a possibility if buying a second hand .243? I ask as a friend bought a rather well used .243 several years ago which grouped like a shotgun. Is this fairly common or is it an exception?

My other reason for going for .308 is I had been led to believe they were very easy on the bore therefore reducing the likelyhood of buying a worn one.

its like buying a second hand car. good brand that has been looked after will be better than something that hasn't!
no reason why factory loads with good care will have burnt out any barrel

It's more likely that a bore will be knackered from neglect than being shot out, especially if it's a deer rifle.

.308 is mild on the bore and is less finnicky with ammo (typically) so you won't have to worry about twist rates and bullet rates like you would a .243 and 100g bullets. Ammo is cheaper as well.

Wouldn't have thought .243 and pig would get along, but there are others that know about that sort of thing on here.

Back