Expanding bullets

Paul 600

Hi my FEO seems to think that expanding bullets or missiles have to be entered on your ticket. Obviously rounds or cartridges do but what about bullets?

This leads me onto buying from the states. You can get them sent in the post. Do you enter them yourself?

What's the story in Balamory?

Here is a link to a thread started less than a month ago Expanding bullets

But in answer to your question no they do not have to be entered on your ticket. Yes you can have them shipped over, just remember expanding bullets count towards your overall ammo count so don't order to many unless you have a good hiding place:-|

Last edited:
Deer man,

Done to death on the Forum.

I would suggest that;

1. Do what the RFD does (assuming in the same area).

2. If you don't buy factory ammo how would you show use of the rifle at time of FAC renewal.

3. Bringing expanding bullets from the US in your luggage isn't a problem at this end so long as you declare to HMRC at Port of arrival and you are within your limit to purchase. No guarantee of easy departure in the US as TSA can do what they like. You also technically need authority from the airline as they class all missiles, including arrows, as ammunition.

Stan

Stan

Here is a link to a thread started less than a month ago Expanding bullets

But in answer to your question no they do not have to be entered on your ticket. Yes you can have them shipped over, just remember expanding bullets count towards your overall ammo count so don't order to many unless you have a good hiding place:-|

Thanks! Must have missed it! I will download the relevant section of the Home Office guide. Spot on!

1. Do what the RFD does (assuming in the same area).

Even if what he is doing goes against what is quite clearly stated in the HO Guidance?

2. If you don't buy factory ammo how would you show use of the rifle at time of FAC renewal.
Interesting one this. What's to stop the FAC holder from entering any old made up hand loaded ammo quantities on their ticket? It's not verified anywhere, so the information is worthless - and any FEO/FLO worth their salt would recognise it - a bit like personal 'cull records' being presented to open up a ticket etc.

Retaining receipts for expanding bullets purchased might be seen as being a more reliable method of 'proving' ammo usage, but again, unless it actually has your personal details recorded, they could have been purchased by anyone.

I ran all the various scenarios past the FEO when requested to record reloaded rounds on my cert, (I refused BTW), and after consultation with 'the office' they were forced to agree with me that no method is reliable nor actually required. After all, it might be a bit embarrassing for them if the FAC was revoked on the grounds of under use and they were requested to prove it. ;)

IMO it's just another bit of box ticking that certain FLDs have got into because it's been generally unchallenged. Just my opinion, but if an individual is an experienced shooter, has passed all the checks as a fit and competent person etc., and is entrusted with firearms, then surely they should be considered responsible and adult enough to make some decisions off their own backs provided they stay within the law? Or do we need more uneccessary and increasing bureaucracy to 'ensure' :rolleyes: that we do?

as far as I am aware you dont have to "prove" use of your rifle to retain it.
Any FEO who demands to see you have bought ammo to demonstrate use is working off his own agenda.

I grew up with use of one rifle along with my brother and sister. my fathers rifle.
I had a FAC as did everyone else.
We went stalking probably twice a year and shot no more than 3 or 4 rounds each trip between us,
some years we didnt go.

"valid reason" does not go hand in hand with "active use"

dont give them any ideas

Orion,

If the RFD puts entries on FAC then you can always go elsewhere, even if they're more expensive or have no stock!

I don't have a problem with mine doing it.

Stan

I keep reciepts for all reloading componets and a log of all rounds I load, dates, load, bullet weight, oal... etc.

Never had bullets entered on ticket, just asked to produce it when buying.

If the RFD puts entries on FAC then you can always go elsewhere, even if they're more expensive or have no stock!

I don't have a problem with mine doing it.

Well, you pays yer money and you makes yer choice Stan. However I think it's slightly diverging from the advice to, "Do what the RFD does (assuming in the same area)", in response to the OP asking what to do with regard to making his own entrys on his FAC after purchasing and/or importing expanding bullets elsewhere. ;)

It's still a (relatively) free country and we can all exercise our personal choice within the law - the trouble tends to arise when those charged with upholding it try and impose their own agendas.

Back