Sporting Rifle...late gralloch.

Duncs

Firstly I love the magazine, so this is not a put down...merely a comment.
Page 51 sept issue."the buck is safely in the back of the landrover with the clock barely passed 9.00am." I'll gralloch him later today"....should the gralloch not be performed asap??? Lucky land owners get the meat!!!

Ideally yes the gralloch should be done asap to give hte beast the best chance to cool down.

It also means you do not have to carry off unnecessary weight off the hill / out of the woods.

But sometimes it is easier to carry out a gralloch in the cleanliness and convenience of the larder adn suppose you need to weigh up potential meat contamination from guts versus meat contamination from dragging beast.

If beast was neck / head shot and thus no risk of contamination then probably OK, but if it had been chest shot - especially if shot slightly far back - I would want to get the beast opened up and cleaned of guts and blood asap after shooting.

Plus the enzymes continue to digest the contents of the rumen, and without being alive the animal cannot replace the protective lining of the digestive tract and so immediately starts to get digested from the inside out.

Ughh.

Hi Guys n Gals,
I haven't read the article, BUT. I think unless we know the exact circumstances it is a tough call.

Saturday night I dressed out Cousin Claires roe buck in the field, well within thirty minutes of the shot, (chest).

On my permision all animals are head shot, and never get dressed out till they reach the larder. This is never more than fifteen minutes away from the stalk.

My point is, both animals are cleaned as early as is practical, but one could have been said to have been taken away with the stomach inside still.

I'll stand by to get shot down, as more of the facts are disclosed. ;)

Buckup.

I havent read or seen the article but it have have been short gralloched in the field with rest being removed later.

I do not take the magazine concerned, and I think Buckup is right, you must be careful as artistic licence often comes into play with these articles :eek:

But I have never left the gralloch in any deer. I bleed mine as soon as they are shot then gralloch them. Heym is right it also allows the carcase to cool down quickly. Back to the larder to remove the pluck and finish the job off washed out, legs off, head off and hung in the chiller.

I would not recommend leaving the gralloch in, especially this time of year, it will not take long to blow up like a ballon :rolleyes:

In one of the slaughterhouses that I worked in,the line had when full,over 100 pigs dead on it and hanging,so,whenever there was a breakdown,the vet would make sure that anything on that line that was dead at the time of the breakdown,had 45mins to be eviscerated,and,over the scale or it was condemned.So,going by that there must be a time limit for the gut to be dropped and cooling to start,but,in the field I suppose it is a different thing,as there are totally different conditions for a start,and,I suppose if the beast is for your own consumption then it is up to you when you gralloch the beast,even though it might not be the best time on health grounds...............Martin.

i hav just finished reading this paticular article and like dunc's was quite astounded by the wording
but the few main pointers are
(1) the only distance quoted is 135 yrds by the range finder at the point they set up for the shot
(2) looks like the bullet entered through the shoulder and the roe buck ran 20ft
(3) if a field gralloch has been performed no photos show any evidence of this
(4) it clearly states that the stalker is eager to get it back to the larder
so drags it the 100 yards or so using a hunters mate deer extraction method and then put the buck it into the back of his landie
(5) with the clock barely passed 9am."i'll gralloch him later today" says jeff. "i give the venison away to whoever owns the land and also the head if they want it
jeff is the stalker

i think the wording would hav look better if he had said i will gralloch him when i get back to the larder, as this is what i presume he was going to do
things are quite often said in haste but mean different to how they sound

i would of thought the article on page 36 may be more of a worry than a late gralloch
i wonder how many higyene rules that fella might be in breech of if he sold any part of that carcass
:lol: :lol:

stone said:
i would of thought the article on page 36 may be more of a worry than a late gralloch
i wonder how many higyene rules that fella might be in breech of if he sold any part of that carcass

Was that the butchering of a red carcass in the cow shed? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pete E said:
stone said:

Was that the butchering of a red carcass in the cow shed? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
well what can i say ?
to farm workers (sorry one of them an owner or tenant) in blue farm overals wearing dirty green wellies that they will most definately of fed and mucked cattle out in and when was the last time his helper washed his overals
god only knows :lol:
but they then skin and cut this red pricket up and make a point of putting the joints in a clean plastic container
well i never just goes to show how the old days rule :lol: :lol:

But what gets me is that they are obviously proud as punch to be in the magazine :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And why did the mag publish the pics knowing they were not exactly best practice?? Are they trying to encourage crap standards?

Well the magazine in question is the shooting equivalent of the Sunday sport.

It is not alone though in publishing such articles, about 18 months ago the Gazzette published an article by Graham Downing about game prices and in the article it read as though he had shot some fallow on day 1 and although he had gralloched them he left them in his landrover and didnt take them to the dealer until he had finished stalking on day 3!

The Mole said:
300wsm said:
Well the magazine in question is the shooting equivalent of the Sunday sport.

With the Sunday Sport you know what you are getting, ;) The thing with the Sporting Rifle you buy it expecting to get one thing but you get something else. IMHO I find too many articles written by people that haven’t a clue. The last time I read it had a article written by somebody new to stalking that was going on how his mentor head shot his deer. He went on to explain how they nearly lost a head shot deer by blowing the top of the skull of with out hitting the brain. :eek:

I have not picked it up since.

Best rgds

Tahr

The bit that did it for me was the article about Polar Bear shooting with the photo of the hunter standing with his foot on a dead bears head.

IMHO is was very tacky and showed disrespect to the quarry

The magazine was....sporting RIFLE ... that started this thread!!!! But hey, lets slag of any other mags while we are at it!

Back