120g Nosler BT For Lamping

liamnjs

I'm trying to develop a suitable load for lamping with my 6.5x55. It's an M96 Mauser, so the twist rate is probably not suitable to the 100g offerings from Nosler/Sierra/Speer, so the Nosler BT 120g seems a logical bullet to consider. Are the terminal ballistics of the 120g BT suitable for this application? I want something as frangible as possible to mitigate the 6.5's tendency to "keep on going".

You should be easily able to achieve 3000fps with the 120gr BT's in your 6.5. Believe me, at that velocity, they will open up and wreck any fox at any reasonable distance, I doubt they will disintegrate, but the steam will be out of them and they will bury themselves in any safe back stop.

I see no reason why you should not use 100gr bullets, they will be "over-stabilised" for sure, but what odds?

You might try 108 Lapua Scenar's, nice long high BC bullet, very accurate and they will turn a fox inside out.

It all depends which Ballistic Tips you use, the "Hunting" or the "Varmint". Both will work admirably, but the "Hunting" will hold together more. I am using Sierra 100g Varminters for foxes, all i need to do is put the scope 4 clicks to the right when using the Sierra's and 4 back to the left for my 129gn SST load.

Simon

Good point above, the 120gr 6.5 NBT is a hunting bullet. Not sure about the 100gr, but I think it is a varmint bullet.

i shoot .243 70gn, 25-06 100gn and .308 125gn and have lamped with all 3. i have chosen not to take shots with the 25-06 and .308 that i would have taken with the .243, on the basis of my risk assesment before the shot. lighter is better in the dark.

I see no reason why you should not use 100gr bullets, they will be "over-stabilised" for sure, but what odds?

My understanding was that if you over-stabilise you have the potential for the bullet to break up in the air, or possibly just experience inconsistent accuracy?

You might try 108 Lapua Scenar's, nice long high BC bullet, very accurate and they will turn a fox inside out.

Really? Never considered using target ammo- wouldn't a FMJ bullet be even more likely to pencil or ricochet? I would have thought they would suffer from lack of expansion?

I've developed loads for Nosler 100 and 120gn BT's for my 6.5 x 55 Sako. With a 20 inch barrel I can't get near 3,000fps with the 120gns, but hitting 2,900fps with the 100gns (I don't tend to push my loads because I want to reuse my cases a good number of times). Both are very accurate (5/8ths inch shooter permitting) and have pretty close the same POA. Shot foxes with the 120gn and they have just dropped where they stood. If you are shooting out to 200 yds I don't think the difference is worth worrying about; beyond that play with the 100gn or an equivalent varmint bullet (I think both the Nosler BTs are Hunting bullets) so maybe take flyties advice if you want a Varmint bullet.

I had a sako 75 1/8 twist and tried a few 85 grain sierra varmit bullets to see how they would shoot.
1 got 1/4 in groups at 100 yards and 1 1/2 in groups at 300 yards with them.
My load was 48 grains of h414 with a rem mag primer.

....Really? Never considered using target ammo- wouldn't a FMJ bullet be even more likely to pencil or ricochet? I would have thought they would suffer from lack of expansion?

Scenar's are not FMJ's. The are HPBT match bullets and can be ordered by post. Believe me, they will open up on a fox.

Would agree with you there, scenars and sierra matchkings fragment like wotsits.
Someone on here pointed me to this rather invaluable link http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162814
Very comprehensive test of 6.5mm bullets!

You have to register but it's well worth the effort.

Thanks for that, some brilliant info and well worth registering for! I see the Matchkings actually have the lowest weight retention of any bullet on test! Shame they didn't test the Scenars too. Would the 107 grain matchkings be worth considering considering alongside the 108g Scenars?

I reckon this may be the way forward, thank you very much for your help.

If the frangibility/ricochet is an issue with the 6.5 , why not go down the 222/223 cal route & half the costs & double the saftey ;)

I tried the hornady 95 Vmax in my 6.5x55 sako 75 they shot really well.
Think they would be worth a try.

Back