Section 1 Shotgun

just

Hi there, if a 12 g shotgun can hold/load more than 2 cartridges, either in a magazine o'r tube/breech/pump... etc, does that mean it requires a Section 1 Firearms certificate !? Thank you..

i though the 3 possible shells were made up of 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
pretty sure my friends mossberg was restricted to 2 in the mag back when this came in

"...hold no more than two rounds in the magazine..". A round in the chamber is ok, giving you a total of three shots.
Do you have a problem with a recently acquired Browning Maxus in 3.5" by any chance?!

i though the 3 possible shells were made up of 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber.
pretty sure my friends mossberg was restricted to 2 in the mag back when this came in

Yes, 3 in total... that's what I meant

Therefore with the standard 70mm shells your getting 3 in the tube, you may have a bit of a dilemma!!!

Don't know if pleading ignorant to the fact would suffice on this one JUST,

Obviously if you make the call you may have to put if on a section 1.

Not having ever owned a shotgun with a 3.5" chamber, do they cycle the shorter shells without any sticking issue's ?

Rgds, Buck.

Rather concerned about a mate of mine who has a three shot shotgun, after talking to a fella at the range the other day ! i could well of misunderstood him but i thought he said that 2 cartridges was the max !! but thanking you lads for the correct information, Thank you !

A bit off a silly question and slightly off thread, but here goes

Would u be able to fit an extra shorter shell in the mag as surely the mag is only an 2" or so longer than the normal mag, so even if u went down to 65mm/2 1/2" game shells i'd imagine very tight to ger an extra 1 in.
3.5" x2=7" mag 3 x 2.5" = 7.5"

Not very familar wi semi's so could be well known that u can fit an extra 1 in, and do they cycle the shorter rounds ok

I have a section 1 shotgun. It takes 7 in the mag and 1 up the spout. If I use anything other than 70mm cartridges , it jamms up nearly every time.

Atb,
Nelson

I had a friend who used an old Beretta 301 Semi & you could get 3 shells into the mag if you used a particular brand which was a tad shorter than the norm.

My section 1 Benelli M2 takes 7+1 & will cycle pretty much anything I throw at it.

Chris

Last edited:
A bit off a silly question and slightly off thread, but here goes

Would u be able to fit an extra shorter shell in the mag as surely the mag is only an 2" or so longer than the normal mag, so even if u went down to 65mm/2 1/2" game shells i'd imagine very tight to ger an extra 1 in.
3.5" x2=7" mag 3 x 2.5" = 7.5"

Not very familar wi semi's so could be well known that u can fit an extra 1 in, and do they cycle the shorter rounds ok

You'll probably find you have an INCH OR SO extra on the magazine feed tube crimp on a restricted shotgun,

as it's a 3.5 chamber this will allow for 3 X 65mm shells in the feed tube.

Rgds, Buck.

It is three in total (of the cartridge it is proved for) with A NON_DETACHABLE MAGAZINE - brackets mine as it does nowhere say this in the Act - so if by chance you can fit x number of two inch shells in it I would not worry.

If it is 3.5" chambered and it will only hold 2 x 3.5" cartridges then is sufficient. Indeed, much as I "curse" the Proof Houses the law is on your side as the Act actually is satisfied if a restricted magazine is certified and marked as such by the Proof Houses.

Back