Help: dried blood on a stainless barrel.

Bernie

Went stalking this morning and got blood on my rifle barrel. Had to go to work so rifle went in cabinet dirty. Just got it out for a rub down with WD40 and the blood wont come off. It appears i've stained my stainless.

Grateful for any advice.

B.

If it's a textured finish, vapour or sand, then in desperation a fine scotch brite pad.
There are also paste type acid formulas available that welders use to remove heat discolouration, seems to not affect surrounding areas.
As a first move though I would try any of the kitchen type multi surface cleaners, worked for me on a polished s/s knife blade.
Start with the milder types, (Mr Muscle) before moving on to Cillet bang or similar.

Neil. :)

This may sound ridiculous, but toothpaste is a very fine abrasive. You could try it for nothing !! Use the wife's brush !

Brianm

battle scar! leave it.
Leupold even sell a nutty Varmint scope covered in fake blood!!

323236.jpg

Leave the stains. They give a gun character!
This is my old Ruger Redhawk. Note the blood stains on the cylinder and barrel.
Ruger blood stains.jpg
I could have the gun refinished, but then I wouldn't be reminded of the fine hunt that bloodied the gun.~Muir

(I've had this gun 24 years. It's on it's third set of grips! Deadly accurate...)

Last edited:
Leave the stains. They give a gun character!
This is my old Ruger Redhawk. Note the blood stains on the cylinder and barrel.
View attachment 6772
I could have the gun refinished, but then I wouldn't be reminded of the fine hunt that bloodied the gun.~Muir

(I've had this gun 24 years. It's on it's third set of grips! Deadly accurate...)

Who did the stains belong to, anyone famous? :eek::norty:

Thanks for all the advice. I think i'll lay off the abrasives for now but I might try the toothpaste one out of curiosity. I'm not overly distressed and do consider it a tool in some respects. It would be a shame to get wound up about a mark on the barrel given the gouges out of the stock from rushing to fit the bipod and scratching it through the woods.

B

Back