Your first deer gun.

I first started with a brno 601 in . 243 then went on to a .270 parker hale then back to a .243 midland and then to my .308 blr 81 which i like the best of the 3 but also use a.303 smle sporter for a bit of a change now and again.
:p

I first started with a brno 601 in . 243 then went on to a .270 parker hale then back to a .243 midland and then to my .308 blr 81 which i like the best of the 3 but also use a.303 smle sporter for a bit of a change now and again.
:p

I started hunting Texas Whitetail deer just over 25 years ago with a used 1960's model Marlin 336 30-30 topped with a Burris 4x scope, and at the time out of inexperience, I felt very undergunned. After hunting with and shooting several larger calibers over the years, I have realized that for what and where I hunt a 30-30 is truly all that I "need".

Hi TomTom
Sorry for the late reply.
.22rf first well my dads then after a few years .243, then progressed to .270 and which I love but some really dislike this calibre, finally I now have a 30.06 which I have to say I do like.
But the best way to approach you question in my opinion is to work out what deer you think you going to stalk and then try out some different rifles for fit and put a few rounds through and make your own mid up the danger will be for loads of different opinions and you will get more and more confused,
Pick out someone who as been stalking for years with loads of experience and see what he uses for what deer and see if that suits you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Take Care

Smithy

First .243 lovely does everything
Then Rem 25-06 heavy barrel job mod fitted .243 to pretty for that!
Then another .243 T3 super varmint mod fitted brilliant
So I should be:
yes
yes
yes
NO

See Classified for .243 & 25-06 fo sale!!

My first was a .243. I bought it as the stalker who "trained" me to stalk said it was ideal. It's dropped every deer I've ever shot (Red and Roe) and so have no problem with it.

When I read sites like this I end up totally confused over calibres. Some claim a .243 is inadequate for a red stag. Yet I've just returned home from Ayrshire and seen pics of a 29.5 stone red dropped with a .243.

On the other hand people swear by their .308's. Others claim they are responsible for too much venison damage?

Personally, and I confess I'm not as experienced as many of you, but it all seems to be about shot placement rather than calibre???

I want to go after reds on the open hill soon. I've been told my .243, or a .270, .308 and 30-06 are all suitable by various people. Others swear about the .270 reckoning it's an old boys outdated tool. So I'm lost and confused in all honesty!!!! lol

MJ75 Fear not go forth with thy humble .243 that you have used to shoot red and roe with and continue to kill red with it. Don,t listen to the testicles that is talked about .270,308.etc,etc. just use the right bullet for the job in hand.
I use a .308 but that is only because we have moose. I would have no problem with killing any deer in England witha.243

First Gun

I have a swiss arms SHR970 in 308. the only rifle i bought new,

Love it,

got a 22-250 for foxy, love it now,

think i got it about right for where i shoot/stalk.

Tikka t3 deluxe
in 243 308 all jobs covered for uk and a nice little .22 rf for bunnies CZ452 AMERICAN,silent as a fart! 12g for pigeon and other little furry things , happy with my lot
Trapper
(its not the size that matters it's how you use it) :lol:

l started with a 1200 super parker hale in 308 loved it to bits very accurate used it for 14 years, then swapped it for a sako in 308 and also got a 243 at about the same time use them both about equally, also use 22.250 for roe in scotland, munty and fox in england
22 for bunny
1x12G and 1x20G growing cobwebs in the cabinet as l have given up game shooting, in fact the 12G is up for sale, Barretta 626E sbs beavertail forend, nice gun if anyone is interested :D

Back