Old fallow

243varmint

Just a quick qeustion

Anybody know how long fallow live too, as a friend of mine has a doe in his paddock which he rescued as a youngster from a wire fence. She has the lower part of one of her rear legs amputated due to the fence injury.

She has now reached the ripe old age of 21!!!!

Obviously directed mainly towards park fallow.

Cheers
Jonathon

keeper mate has a doe come back to his 500 acre wood each summer he put a white collar on her ten yr ago .[wild ]

I was stalking down in sussex last october and shot an old malformed Fallow Buck that the stalker thought would be around 12/13 years old, which when you look at the pictures off(i will get them posted once i work out the photo bucket) him he does look his age, thick set, short blocky head and thick pedicles with short thick/heavy branched antlers that resembled a whitetail.

depends how long their teeth last but 12's a good age for a free living fallow. In a park 'pet deer' can go on at least half that again and more if they are fed oat mush type stuff when their teeth are worn out buy a caring owner. Most are managed though without such pet attachments.

I have known park fallow reach 11 years (tagged) before being culled as 'old', this is without any special treatment. As Paul said, tooth wear will be the limiting factor so animals fed on chopped silage are likely to be able to live longer than ones fed on whole beet. I have known red deer live to thier early twenties. I think a 21 year old fallow may well be a record. JC

Jonathon, I would be interested to know what the teeth are like on your friends deer?

On a slightly unsavoury note, my old boss from pre-college years once pulled the teeth from some broken mouthed ewes, they managed perfectly well with just hard gums for a year. He had a bet with his son that his (carefully selected) broken mouthed ewes would manage a better return than the rest of the flock. He won!

Simon

Jonathon, I would be interested to know what the teeth are like on your friends deer?

On a slightly unsavoury note, my old boss from pre-college years once pulled the teeth from some broken mouthed ewes, they managed perfectly well with just hard gums for a year. He had a bet with his son that his (carefully selected) broken mouthed ewes would manage a better return than the rest of the flock. He won!

Simon

Simon

He has lost the other one he had earlier this year but never looked at the teeth as I found out she had died a while after the event.

She mainly feeds on the grass in his paddock and browse from the hedge. Also some wheat which is fed to the chickens.

21 is some age I would of thought.

Jonathon

Hi Jon - is the doe tottering around behind Pete's, by any chance??:confused:

Didn't he use to have a couple of rescues?

(Hope you & the family are keeping well, catch up sometime soon - not been down your way recently, work is, ummmmm, 'hectic' :rolleyes:.....)

Hi Jon - is the doe tottering around behind Pete's, by any chance??:confused:

Didn't he use to have a couple of rescues?

(Hope you & the family are keeping well, catch up sometime soon - not been down your way recently, work is, ummmmm, 'hectic' :rolleyes:.....)

The very same one mate;)

All ok down here mate, when your passing pop in.

Jon

Back